Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any tips on using FCPX with footage from a GH3?

Anyone using a GH3 and able to advise on the best settings to get superb image quality and quick & smooth editing?

I’ve shot a lot of footage using AVCHD FHD 25p. It imports easily into FCPX (I think there's over 3 hours of material) but editing becomes a very slow process due to constant Transcoding and Analysis with every edit. I did not optimise clips on import. Is it best to use proxy files, to speed things up? The codec is shown as H.264, Linear PCM.

Incidentally, the footage shows in the Info pane as 1920x1080 25i, even though it was shot in 25p and 25i is not an option on the camera. Why would this be?

I’m using a mid 2009 MBP, 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo with 8Gb RAM, with FCPX 10.1.4 running on Mavericks. The editing has only really slowed right down since using material from my new GH3.

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on May 3, 2015 10:24 AM

9 replies

May 6, 2015 2:21 AM in response to citroenDS

Another way of looking at the same question, in case you don't use a GH3.

If the codec is shown as H.264 does the footage need transcoding? Or is it native media? It's constant Transcoding and Analysis in the process of editing that slows everything down.

Would still appreciate any feedback/tips if you're shooting on a GH3 and editing in FCPX.

May 6, 2015 2:31 AM in response to citroenDS

You probably do not need that Analysis. If you are not selecting to create optimized or proxy media, there is no transcoding going on, so it is just analysis. I suggest you turn that off and see how things work (you can always analyze later if necessary).

I am more intrigued by the other matter of interlaced vs progressive.

Can you open one of those clips in Quicktime Player, and show us a screenshot of the Movie Inspector there? And another of the Inspector in FCP X?

Could it be that the clips are progressive, but you edited them into an interlaced timeline?

Edit: oh, and you probably don't need transcoding either. FCP X works quite well with AVCHD material

May 6, 2015 3:05 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks for responding, Luis. I just checked again, and it looks like all the imported material has been optimised. I didn't choose to optimise in the import window, but I can see now that I'd already set FCPX preferences to Create Optimised Media - and presumably this over-rides the import window option?

If the original footage is native media, and I don't need optimised media, can I remove it safely to save space on the drive? And if so, how?

Screenshots below, as requested:

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

May 6, 2015 3:17 AM in response to citroenDS

citroenDS wrote:

Thanks for responding, Luis. I just checked again, and it looks like all the imported material has been optimised. I didn't choose to optimise in the import window, but I can see now that I'd already set FCPX preferences to Create Optimised Media - and presumably this over-rides the import window option?

What appears in the import window is by default what you set in the preferences. You can change that -e.g. you can turn off optimizing by unchecking the respective box. My guess is you did not mean to optimize but may have failed to notice that box was checked; also, some people import by dragging directly from the Finder to the browser: in that case FCP X will act according to the preference settings.

If the original footage is native media, and I don't need optimised media, can I remove it safely to save space on the drive? And if so, how?

Select the library in the browser; File->Delete Generated Library Files... and then check the box for optimized media.

Regarding the interlaced issue: what FCP X calls 25i is often called 50i elsewhere. Are you sure the clips were not shot as interlaced by accident?

Can you shoot a short clip with the camera, making absolutely sure it is 25p or 50p, and import that to see how it comes up in FCP X?

May 6, 2015 7:30 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thanks a lot, Luis - I've now deleted the optimised media and saved over 100GB on the scratch drive.

Why does FCPX describe 50i as 25i? I checked the GH3 spec and it shows that FHD25p has a frame rate of 50i - which is equally confusing!

User uploaded file

Anyway - many thanks again for your help. By editing native files, FCPX is back to running smoothly again.

May 6, 2015 7:49 AM in response to citroenDS

citroenDS wrote:

T

Why does FCPX describe 50i as 25i? I checked the GH3 spec and it shows that FHD25p has a frame rate of 50i - which is equally confusing!

Yes, it's confusing. The first a nomenclature decision: indicating frames rather than fields, The second is a common recording technique – recording progressive within an interlaced stream. So with respect to the first, Apple's 25i means 25 fps. With respect to the 50i "frame rate" in your table, it's also 25 fps.

Russ

May 7, 2015 2:12 AM in response to citroenDS

As Russ said it's nomenclature, actually stupidity in nomenclature. The first two lines of that chart are 50p and 50i. 50i is stupid. Both of these formats do not have a frame rate of 50fps. There is not such thing as 50fps interlaced. 50i is actually 25fps interlaced. These should be written as 50p and 25i. The line you highlighted should be written as 25i, because that's the actually frame rate.

25p in these cameras is not a whole frame of video recorded every 25th of a second. It's a field recorded every 50th of a second and doubled so the 25i material has two identical fields. This gives less resolution and less motion blur than is normally seen in true 25p media. You have the benefit of no interlacing but without the motion smoothness of true interlaced media or the correct motion blur of true 25p media.

Any tips on using FCPX with footage from a GH3?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.