Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Red Light on Memory Riser Card

For my Mac Pro 1.1, I've installed 12GB of Memory however one of my Memory Riser Cards has 4 GB, but is only acknowledging them as 2 GB. On the same Card I see a single "Red Light." I can only assume this to be an error. What could this mean and what do I need to do to resolve it? Worse case scenario I have replace the Memory Riser Card.

Thank you in Advance.

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5), OWC RAM

Posted on May 3, 2015 9:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2015 12:55 PM

Try reseating the RAM on the problem riser.

Inspect the RAM slots and contact on the sticks for abnormalities

Try to find the bad stick. WIth one bad stick both sticks in that pair will not show up.

Remove one pair and see it that resolves the light and if the show up. Repeat with other pair.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2015 12:55 PM in response to zdufour

Try reseating the RAM on the problem riser.

Inspect the RAM slots and contact on the sticks for abnormalities

Try to find the bad stick. WIth one bad stick both sticks in that pair will not show up.

Remove one pair and see it that resolves the light and if the show up. Repeat with other pair.

May 3, 2015 12:55 PM in response to zdufour

Your Mac Pro with Xeon processor has Error-correcting memory, so it can determine when modules are bad. The red light usually indicates a bad RAM module.

If seen as having ANY problem at Startup (from a cold start, not ReStart) the slot will be declared "empty" and the module will NOT be used.

The memory modules themselves (especially the FBDIMMs used in 2006 through 2008 models) are thousands of times more likely to be the source of the problem than the riser-card.

Modules seen as half their correct size are BAD (or not the correct DIMMs for your Mac Pro, which has stringent requirements for timing, Heatsink size, and temperature monitoring chips).

Be sure to test new modules by themselves before checking with existing modules for "plays nice with others" -- a separate issue.

Red Light on Memory Riser Card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.