Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can I only use 2.48 GB RAM in Boot Camp (Win 8.1 Pro, 64-bit)?

Hello, I am fairly new to the iMac and I have to use some programs in Windows that are not available for Mac so I set up Boot Camp and installed Windows 8.1.

My iMac is a I7-2600 CPU @ 3.4GHz with 16 GB RAM, system type-bit. Under system in Windows it shows Installed memory (RAM) 16 GB (2.48 GB usable).

I read about this problem and most answers are related to people using 32-bit. So what is wrong in my case, where is the problem?

Thank you in advance for help and suggestions.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 3, 2015 11:52 AM

195 replies

May 3, 2015 5:14 PM in response to Mortandos

Can you check msconfig in Windows as shown in the linked discussion?

You may also want to look at https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366796%28v=vs.85%29.a spx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396.

What is the year/model of your iMac (my guess is a 2011 iMac)? Can you post the output of the highlighted command from OS X Terminal?

sysctl hw.cpu64bit_capable

hw.cpu64bit_capable: 1

May 4, 2015 7:50 PM in response to Loner T

My Mac: iMac (27-inch, Mid 2011), 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7, 16 GB 1333 MHz DDR3, AMD Radeon HD 6970M 2048 MB.

Yes, I used EFI Boot, I installed it from a USB stick since my superdrive doesn't read DVD's anymore. I used a lens cleaning disc but it didn't help. Also there is dust under the glass of the screen, I really got one of those iMacs with many issues. But in Mountain Lion and Yosemite I never had any other problems and I never really missed the superdrive.

May 4, 2015 8:04 PM in response to Mortandos

Your 2011 iMac is a preUEFI Mac (all Macs prior to Late 2013 models are). The preUEFI Macs support varying degrees of EFI boot capability, but do not fully comply with UEFI specifications. This causes various BC drivers to work, not work, or partially work, depending the year of the Mac and the OS used.

There are two methods that have been "successful" in working around broken Optical drives (apart from replacing it).

1. http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=20584499#post20584499

2. Bootcamp without Optical disc drive

My recommendation is to remove Windows using BC Assistant (only, nothing else), and then try either of these two methods. You want a legacy BIOS installation (aka Hybrid MBR method). The CSM-BIOS layer correctly exposes hardware for preUEFI machines. It will also address your memory visibility issue.

Why can I only use 2.48 GB RAM in Boot Camp (Win 8.1 Pro, 64-bit)?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.