Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Assigning ringtone to both home and cell number?

When I edit a contact to assign a ringtone, there doesn't seem to be a way to assign the ringtone to both the mobile number and the home number. So when my fiend phones me from her cell I get the custom ringtone but when she calls me from her house I get my default ringtone.

Why is there not a way to assign ringtones to individual numbers for one contact? People can have several phone numbers these days.

My only way around this is to make a new contact for each number a friend may have and assign the ringtones I want.

What am I missing?

iPhone 5, iOS 6.1.4

Posted on May 3, 2015 12:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2018 1:02 AM

Thanks Deggie.

I see what you're saying. The expected behaviour is that once a contact is assigned a ringtone all numbers in that contact should have the same ringtone. However, as I stated this is not working for me. I have reset the phone and will know shortly if that worked.

So you understood my initial problem, and yes, I did sort of rewrite my issue to include that I think it would be great if I could assign different ringtones to different numbers under the same contact. So I digressed, sorry. :-)

Thanks for the feedback.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 12, 2018 1:02 AM in response to deggie

Thanks Deggie.

I see what you're saying. The expected behaviour is that once a contact is assigned a ringtone all numbers in that contact should have the same ringtone. However, as I stated this is not working for me. I have reset the phone and will know shortly if that worked.

So you understood my initial problem, and yes, I did sort of rewrite my issue to include that I think it would be great if I could assign different ringtones to different numbers under the same contact. So I digressed, sorry. :-)

Thanks for the feedback.

Aug 12, 2018 1:02 AM in response to deggie

Reset the iPhone?

Yes, the cell number and the home number are in the same contact. When I assign a ringtone to that contact it only applies to one of the numbers. I believe both numbers under one contact (or any amount of numbers) should be individually set to allow any ringtone.

Thanks

May 9, 2015 9:29 AM in response to Community User

Maybe I misread your original post, or you rewrote it. You stated you had a custom ringtone for a particular contact. I have one for my sister. It is the "Bad Boys" theme from COPS. You stated if your contact called you on their cell phone it rang with your custom ringtone and if they called from their home phone it was your default ringtone. I assumed you wanted the custom ringtone regardless of whether they called form their cell or home phone. If my sister calls me from her cell or home phone the custom "Bad Boys" ringtone plays regardless of which number she calls from.

Is this not what you want? That is the way it is supposed to work. If it isn't then sometimes a Reset can fix the situation.

May 9, 2015 9:30 AM in response to Community User

Let me explain to you, that deggie is in no way a troll. Also, when there are issues with malfunctions in the phone, a reset will allow for a reboot of the device and can correct minor issues that occur. The reset will have no affect on any of your data, but the reboot can many times get the system working correctly again.

As far as the ringtone question, there is only one setting that can exist in the contact, and that is to set a custom ringtone, which applies to all numbers for that contact. The fact that it does not work for one number in the contact makes one wonder if the number you have entered for the contact is exactly the same as what comes through for the Caller ID on that contact for that particular number. Do you happen to have that number listed for more than one person. I find that at times when my wife calls from work, and I have a couple of other people from her work that call, it will not always show her name, it will pick the first person that it comes to alphabetically in my contact list with that number, so it can use a different ringtone.

Assigning ringtone to both home and cell number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.