Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Tones not working since ios 8.3 update on iphone 5s

Sounds are not working correctly on my iphone 5s since ios 8.3 update. Since updating to ios 8.3, my message tones are not working, the charging sound no longer plays and when playing games the volume cannot be adjusted.

Oh also, SIRI is horrible now! I used to use Siri all the time now it's worthless, takes forever then most of the time doesn't even respond.

I have done a reboot from itunes (HAD to do this to get my contacts back that 8.3 lost for me)

I have shut my phone off and restarted it numerous times, checked the settings to ensure that the tones were set correctly and DND was not on.

Any help is appreciated.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 3, 2015 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 11:05 AM

Hello there, kwiley995.

It sounds like you've done some great troubleshooting so far, to try resolving your issue with sound on your iPhone. The following Knowledge Base article offers up a checklist of recommendations that may be in addition to what you've already done on your own:

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support

1. Go to Settings > Sounds and drag the Ringer And Alerts slider to turn the volume up.
  2. If you can hear sound from the speaker, then the speaker works. Continue with these steps to find the setting or switch that's affecting the sound. If you can't hear sound from the speaker, contact Apple Support.
  3. Make sure the Ring/Silent switch is set to ring. If you can see orange, it's set to silent.
    User uploaded file
  4. Restart your device.
  5. Open an app that has music or sound effects. Adjust the volume with the volume buttons or the slider in Control Center.
  6. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn off Bluetooth.
  7. If there's still no sound, connect a headset. If you can hear sound through the headset, remove it and clear any dust or debris from the headset jack of your device.
  8. If the device is in a case, make sure that the case doesn't block the speaker.
  9. Use a brush to gently clear any debris from the speaker and Lightning connector (or 30-pin dock connector). The brush should be clean and dry and have soft bristles.
  10. Update your device to the latest version of iOS.

If you followed these steps and still hear no sound or distorted sound, contact Apple Support.

Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards,

Pedro.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2015 11:05 AM in response to kwiley995

Hello there, kwiley995.

It sounds like you've done some great troubleshooting so far, to try resolving your issue with sound on your iPhone. The following Knowledge Base article offers up a checklist of recommendations that may be in addition to what you've already done on your own:

If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker - Apple Support

1. Go to Settings > Sounds and drag the Ringer And Alerts slider to turn the volume up.
  2. If you can hear sound from the speaker, then the speaker works. Continue with these steps to find the setting or switch that's affecting the sound. If you can't hear sound from the speaker, contact Apple Support.
  3. Make sure the Ring/Silent switch is set to ring. If you can see orange, it's set to silent.
    User uploaded file
  4. Restart your device.
  5. Open an app that has music or sound effects. Adjust the volume with the volume buttons or the slider in Control Center.
  6. Go to Settings > Bluetooth and turn off Bluetooth.
  7. If there's still no sound, connect a headset. If you can hear sound through the headset, remove it and clear any dust or debris from the headset jack of your device.
  8. If the device is in a case, make sure that the case doesn't block the speaker.
  9. Use a brush to gently clear any debris from the speaker and Lightning connector (or 30-pin dock connector). The brush should be clean and dry and have soft bristles.
  10. Update your device to the latest version of iOS.

If you followed these steps and still hear no sound or distorted sound, contact Apple Support.

Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards,

Pedro.

Tones not working since ios 8.3 update on iphone 5s

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.