Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Iphoto Update-can't open/access photos

Frustrating! IPhoto has put all my photos on the cloud and updated Iphoto. Now I can not open the app, nor access any of my pictures. When going to set up up, It brings up a forced "option" to buy storage. What if don't want to buy storage? I feel like my photos are being held hostage at the moment but I know that there has to be an alternative. Can anyone decifer what's going on?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 3, 2015 12:55 PM

3 replies

May 3, 2015 1:30 PM in response to Ksully777

Wrong - Apple has done nothing except provide you with a new, optional program what optionally can have the library on iCloud but that is not required

If you choose to use Photos and if you choose to use iCloud Photo Library and if you choose to take lots of photos then of course you will have to choose to purchase more iCloud space - on the other hand you need not do any of those - and you need not even leave iPhoto - it still works just fine

LN

May 3, 2015 2:21 PM in response to LarryHN

Yep-i figured there was something I was missing/not understanding. For those of us who are novice it can get quite confusing. Since my IPhoto would not open at all nor could I access through photos in a finder, the only thing that was working was the option to get more storage.

I decided maybe a reboot was in order and that got me into my photos.

May 3, 2015 2:26 PM in response to Ksully777

You'll need to upgrade to iPhoto 9.6.1 by following the directions posted by Terence Devlin in this topic:

Terence Devlin

Apr 14, 2015 11:21 AM

Re: Is Iphoto gone ? i want it back!

in response to Johannes666

Recommended

Go to the App Store and check out the Purchases List. If iPhoto is there then it will be v9.6.1

If it is there, then drag your existing iPhoto app (not the library, just the app) to the trash

Install the App from the App Store.

Sometimes iPhoto is not visible on the Purchases List. it may be hidden. See this article for details on how to unhide it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4928

One question often asked: Will I lose my Photos if I reinstall?

iPhoto the application and the iPhoto Library are two different parts of the iPhoto programme. So, reinstalling the app should not affect the Library. BUT you should always have a back up before doing this kind of work. Always.

User uploaded file

Iphoto Update-can't open/access photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.