Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

You are unable to log in to the user account...

You are unable to log in to the user account at this time...error occurred.

i Have tried everything including wiping my hard drive and reinstalling OS (via disk utilities) to creating a new account, to doing the tricking my computer thing (see below) but i think the bug/error is on my time machine backup because every time i reinstall from the back up, the same error occurs. I try to just install those docs, photos, etc that i need but some of my folders are missing. Seems when I first got my mac a drive within the 1TB drive was created and those are the files that are missing (That i cant reinstall) And i need those pics as the bulk of my pic files were stored there!

i Dont know why my log-in user name and correct password won't work. Soooo frustrating.

from another poster on the error login message: What this does is deletes a specific file OSX checks each time it runs to determine whether its running for the first time or if accounts have already been set up. By removing this file, when we reboot, OSX will assume this is a brand new set-up and will allow us to create new accounts.

help!!!

iMac, Cant access computer for OS version

Posted on May 3, 2015 12:48 PM

2 replies

May 3, 2015 1:05 PM in response to LauraleeG

You are unable to log in to the user account at this time

i Have tried everything including wiping my hard drive and reinstalling OS (via disk utilities) to creating a new account

Cant access computer for OS version

Are you the admin? Tried logging in as admin?

As an admin (owner), you should know which OS is installed on your comp. Very difficult to help w/troubleshooting w/o knowing the OS. Each OS has their own troubleshooting solutions.

Resetting Password

1. Shut down comp & wait a few minutes.

2. Turn on & at the same time hold down the “command” & “R” keys.

3. Next screen….. In the menu bar click on Utilities (NOT OS X UTILITIES)

4. In the drop down menu, click on Terminal.

5. In the terminal pop up small window: Type exactly—> resetpassword Hit return key.

6. Reset password window will pop up. Follow the onscreen instructions to reset password. Make sure you select the admin account to reset the password.

7. You can ignore the “keychain” pop up windows, which is what I did. Does not affect anything.

You can do the keychain stuff at your leisure.

8. Quit out of everything & restart your computer.

9. Enter your new reset password.

Also, check out the following User Tip: Reset the user password in OS X Lion, Mountain Lion, Mavericks and Yosemite

You need to know which OS is installed PRIOR to doing any of the above user tips.

==============

Thank you for reporting the troubleshooting efforts you have previously tried. Very helpful to users trying to help.

User uploaded file

May 3, 2015 2:23 PM in response to LauraleeG

It sounds like you're using the "legacy" (pre-Lion) version of FileVault, and the disk image file on which your home folder is stored is corrupt.

This condition is quite difficult and time-consuming to recover from. If the procedure suggested here is too hard, get help from someone more experienced. One option is to make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store.

Legacy FileVault is obsolete and should not be used under OS X 10.7 or later.

If you have another user account with administrator status and can do so, log in to it and skip to Step 4.

Step 1

Start up in Recovery mode. The OS X Utilities screen will appear.

Step 2

Select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. In the window that opens, type this:

resetp

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window opens. Select your startup volume if not already selected. Pull down the menu labeled Select the user account and select

System Administrator (root)

Follow the prompts to set a password. It's safest to choose a password that includes only the characters a-z, A-Z, and 0-9.

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

Step 3

At the login screen, click Other... Enter "root" (without the quotes) in the Name field, and enter the password you set in Step 4 in the Password field. You should now be logged in. Do nothing while logged in as root except as indicated below.

Open the Users & Groups preference pane. Create a new user and check the box marked

Allow user to administer this computer

Restart and log in as the new user.

Step 4

Load this web page in Safari.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

sudo dscl . -delete users/fubar HomeDirectory

Copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C.

Launch the TextEdit application. Paste into the window by pressing command-V. Double-click the word "fubar" and type the short name of the affected FileVault user.

To be clear, the command line above is just an example. You must edit it before using it.

Triple-click the edited line and again copy to the Clipboard.

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window. When prompted, enter the password of the user you're logged in as. Nothing will be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return.

Step 5

You should now be able to log out and log in as the FileVault user. Your files still won't be available. FileVault is inactive.

Locate the disk image file named "fubar.sparsebundle" or "fubar.sparseimage" at the top level of your home folder. Again, these are only examples, not the actual name of the file you're looking for. Substitute the short user name for "fubar".

Step 6

Try to open the file. If it won't open, try to repair it in Disk Utility. If it still won't open, restore it from your most recent backup. Keep trying older backups until you find one that works. If you don't have a backup, the data is lost, perhaps beyond any hope of recovery. There's a slight chance that you might be able to repair the disk image using an expensive third-party application called "Disk Warrior." If possible, go to a "Genius Bar" where the software is available for use by the "Geniuses" at no charge.

Step 7

Copy the files from the mounted disk image to the corresponding subfolders of your home folder. The Library folder is invisible in the Finder. Open it by holding down the option key and selecting

Go Library

from the Finder menu bar. Open the copy on the disk image by selecting

Go Go to Folder

and entering something like

/Volumes/fubar/Library

in the text box that opens. Again, substitute the correct name for "fubar".

Log out and log back in.

If there isn't enough disk space available to complete this step, unmount the disk image, copy the disk image file to an external storage device, delete the original, and try again.

Step 8

Back up all data, then delete the disk image file.

Step 9

Delete the user you created in Step 3, if applicable.

Step 10 (optional, but recommended)

Follow the instructions in this support article under the heading "Disable the root user."

You are unable to log in to the user account...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.