Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Just bought an Imac G5 but can't do much with it, how can I upgrade to neewer version and which is the next version after 10.4.11?

HI, I just bought an Imac G5 with 10.4.11 OS in it but I can't do much with it. I can't even wach Netflix on it because it needs a newer version of browser but I can't download newer version because My Mac's OS is to old, at least 10.6 needed. Can anybody can help Me? Thank you

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on May 3, 2015 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2015 1:04 PM

It is not an Intel Machine so cannot be updated past 10.5.8 You would need to contact Apple about purchasing a DVD.

Cheers

Pete

8 replies

May 5, 2015 11:17 AM in response to Jemen844

It may be worth giving TenFourFox ( only a couple versions Mozilla's Firefox browser ) a try. It supports HTML5 and NetFlix started its content port to HTML5 last year.

The current version plays youtube and other HTML5 video - BUT - the MP4s are mostly encoded using H.264 which is very dependent on very fast processors.

For me, youtube is like watching a "slideshow" while the audio mostly struggles (but that may be server load issue).

Bottom line, your iMac probably doesn't have the horsepower to play H.264 encoded content and I have NO Idea what NetFlix encoding is

- but you still may like TFF, I certainly do - much more than Safari 4.1.3 that is OS X Tiger 10.4.11 stock issue

ÇÇÇ

May 8, 2015 12:55 AM in response to Jemen844

Jemen844 wrote:

Thanx, is there any browser with what I can watch at least Netflix??

On an older PowerMac G5, unfortunately, no.

Netflix has always needed the Microsoft Silverlight browser plugin which has always only been available for Intel Macs running OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard and above.

So watching/streaming NetFlix is out on a PowerMac.

With the aid of a newer web browser like TenFourFox, you maybe able to watch/stream movies and TV shows from Hulu or Hulu Plus (if you pay for the Plus service) or free movies services like Crackle or Popcorn Flix or other free streaming movie services.

You would need to go to these websites and try them.

If they stream on your G5, be advised that the stream may be choppy. The audio may be fine, but the video may lag or be choppy.

I used the FireFox web browser on my G4 running OS X 10.5.8 when Mozilla was still supporting OS X 10.5 and I was able to stream Hulu fairly decent with the ATI Radeon X800XT, 256 MB VRAM video card I had installed. The audio was fine, but there was a slight, but noticeable lag in the video. Plus, at close range, the video was not a crisp and clean as it has been on my much newer Intel iMac.

Your PowerMac is a much newer model than mine. So, it should possible for you to achieve a better streaming experience than I experienced.

Good Luck!

Just bought an Imac G5 but can't do much with it, how can I upgrade to neewer version and which is the next version after 10.4.11?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.