Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with unusable free space on hard disk

User uploaded file

Let me explain. Today I decided to downgrade my MacBook Air (early 2008) to snow leopard. I had Lion. What I did was to create a new partition, install snow leopard there, pass my files using migration assistant from the old partition using lion, and then after I verify everything was copied, I deleted the lion partition. What I didn't see coming, was that I can't make my current partition any larger, even though I have more than half of the hard disk free. Please help me, I'm running out of space!

Mac OS X (10.7.3), MacBook Air 1.1 (2008)

Posted on May 3, 2015 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 5:41 PM

Basically you can drag a partition DOWN to make it larger but not UP

There are two possible methods to fix this.

1) use disk utility to create a partition in the space above your current partition (In some instances this won’t work but it usually is possible. If not then look at method 2 below.

2) clone the contents of the current partition to the newly created partition. See #1 below for the software I use for cloning

3) delete the 2nd partition (the one you made yesterday)

4) resize the newest partition to fill the drive. (this should work)

Method 2

1) clone the current working partition to a hard drive (CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper)

2) restart the computer with your installation disk

3) run Disk Utility and create 1 partition

4) restart the computer with the cloned external drive

5) copy the external drive contents to the computer

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2015 5:41 PM in response to app61

Basically you can drag a partition DOWN to make it larger but not UP

There are two possible methods to fix this.

1) use disk utility to create a partition in the space above your current partition (In some instances this won’t work but it usually is possible. If not then look at method 2 below.

2) clone the contents of the current partition to the newly created partition. See #1 below for the software I use for cloning

3) delete the 2nd partition (the one you made yesterday)

4) resize the newest partition to fill the drive. (this should work)

Method 2

1) clone the current working partition to a hard drive (CarbonCopyCloner or SuperDuper)

2) restart the computer with your installation disk

3) run Disk Utility and create 1 partition

4) restart the computer with the cloned external drive

5) copy the external drive contents to the computer

Help with unusable free space on hard disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.