Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Event titles missing in Photos

I am sure the answer is a simple one, and maybe that is why a search of the community revealed no answer that I could find....

In the old iPhoto, when in the "Photos" view, my photos were in a collapsable list of events, which I could give a title. When in the "Events" view, the photos were in stacks (which I didn't like) with titles.

In the new Photos, when in the "Photos" view, my photos are arranged by date, and the photos on a given date don't collapse. When in the "Albums" view, I can select "iPhoto Events," and the iPhoto stacks appear with the titles I have given the events.

Is Photos limited in "Photos" to an arrangement by date? Is the only way to get to event titles via the"Albums" > "iPhoto Events" stacked view for which I don't care?

(And, BTW, if the new program is called "Photos," why is this discussion group still named "iPhoto," and not "iPhoto and Photos"? And why, in the Album view of Photos, is the name "iPhoto Event," rather than "Photo Event"?)

TIA for any information you can provide.

Mike

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Intel Core Duo

Posted on May 3, 2015 2:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2015 2:23 PM

Moments in Photos are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there was a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

The downside to the simulation is that the Albums/Events can only be sorted automatically by Title. But they can also be sorted manually, either in the sidebar or in the folder's window at the right.

Ask Apple for more sorting options in Photos and to return the missing functions via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

If you need to rename any of the titles or get the file name back as the title underneath each thumbnail see the Applescripts in the Photos for Mac User Tips

User uploaded file

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2015 2:23 PM in response to Michael Stano

Moments in Photos are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there was a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

The downside to the simulation is that the Albums/Events can only be sorted automatically by Title. But they can also be sorted manually, either in the sidebar or in the folder's window at the right.

Ask Apple for more sorting options in Photos and to return the missing functions via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

If you need to rename any of the titles or get the file name back as the title underneath each thumbnail see the Applescripts in the Photos for Mac User Tips

User uploaded file

Event titles missing in Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.