Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

where is music in icloud backup?

I need to sync my iPad with a new install of iTunes, however, obviously it is a one way street and I can't transfer the music from my iPad to iTunes, only the other way ????!!!!!

By syncing I'm advised I will loose all my music and the nice new blank iTunes version will replace it. Isn't that just swell?

I understand I can back up to iCloud as is done automatically, however, the backups seem to cover everything BUT my music. Am I missing something in this seemingly simple task?

CW

iPad (3rd gen) Wi-Fi + Cellular, iOS 8.2

Posted on May 3, 2015 3:17 PM

7 replies

May 3, 2015 3:38 PM in response to Carlw4

Music isn't backed up. No media is backed up. It can be downloaded again at no charge as long as it is still available in the iStore and you use the Apple ID that you bought it with.

Download past purchases from iTunes in the Cloud - Apple Support

I'm surprised that you didn't get a message about trasnferring your purchase into iTunes you should get that message if the music was purchased from iTunes. Take a look at both of these support article.

Re-download or transfer your iTunes Store purchases from an iPhone, iPad or iPod to a computer - Apple Support

How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support

After you transfer your purchases into iTunes, you should be able to sync without issue.

May 3, 2015 5:25 PM in response to Demo

Thanks Demo. I did and have restored all the purchased tunes, I was actually referring to music I had loaded direct from CD.

Guess I should've been more clear. So while the Apple Store music is conveniently restorable, it's very inconvenient to transfer from iPad back to iTune. I'm sure I'm the only one in the world that has needed to accomplish that task. Because that capability is conveniently left out, we're required to resort to 3rd party apps.

Typical: you can do this and that but only on a Tuesday with a full moon, otherwise you're SOL.

Cheers

May 3, 2015 5:29 PM in response to Carlw4

Quite honestly your personal music not purchased through Apple is your concern, not Apple's. Do you not already have those ripped CDs saved somewhere? What did you use to rip them, save them and transfer them to your iDevice in the first place?

I too have hundreds of ripped CDs, but they are all in my iTunes library on my computer and are easily sync' to any device I own. Those libraries are also redundantly backed up so I never have to rip them again.

May 4, 2015 4:16 PM in response to Michael Black

Yes I had all my rips backed up onto a couple of HDDs that obviously had to crap out. Gone!

NOW, as for your "quite honestly" statement. I find it to be the height of ignorance and guaranteed you wouldn't be spouting off like that if:

1. You had all your stuff backed up redundantly,
  2. You had thought you had planned for all contingencies,
  3. You still have all the music on your unit but due to stupidity or whatever may be the case, Apple hasn't provided a means to transfer files BOTH WAYS.

So that is my concern??? Any content used on the unit is all my concern yes, but to block access to it by not providing tools to transfer both ways really is....well I cant even think of a word to describe it short of tragic.

This is why Apple seems to be spiralling down and due to this issue and other ridiculous issues I most likely will go to another product. One that actually wants its customers happy, not just hanging on the coat tails of past glories.

May 4, 2015 4:33 PM in response to Carlw4

Carlw4 wrote:

Yes I had all my rips backed up onto a couple of HDDs that obviously had to crap out. Gone!

NOW, as for your "quite honestly" statement. I find it to be the height of ignorance and guaranteed you wouldn't be spouting off like that if:

That's a pretty arrogant comment from someone who doesn't know me at all. I've always accepted that the sole single person responsible for my information and data is me. Knowing that iOS and iTunes has always been a one way transfer system, I have planned for such a situattion. And no, I would not be blaming anyone but myself had it happened to me.

where is music in icloud backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.