Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Serious issue with wrist detection, stand time and unlock (not tattoo related)

I own the 42mm stainless steel Apple Watch.

While everything was fine on its first day of usage, things started to go wrong on day two. I noticed the following problems and believe, all of them might be related to one root cause: Apple Watech no longer recognizes it's on my wrist:

- Passcode unlock while on my wrist does not work. The Watch keeps locking.

- Stand time is consistently reported as zero, though I stand a lot.

- When starting a no goal walk in Workout app, the clock pauses after a few seconds, though I keep moving.

- Notifications get reported by the haptic engine only occasionally and in general, notifications seem unreliable.

I have seen numerous threads here and elsewhere, reporting either a single of the above problems or even multiple like in my case. In almost all cases, wirst detection seems to have stopped working.

I'd like to add that I don't have any tattoos and can report that the problem sticks when my Watch is worn by my wife or friends. This might hint at a hardware level (sensor) problem.

While I understand it's very early in the product live cycle, I'd appreciate if Apple could comment with clear steps to troubleshoot. Resetting, repairing, switching off and on, does not resolve the prohlem.

I hope that somebody from Apple jumps in and helps tracking down the root cause.

Meanwhile, if you experience ANY of the above problems, could you check whether you also see the other ones I've reported. I'd lIke to find out whether my theory of failing wrist detection as the root cause for ALL of the above might make sense. Please report as a response to this post. Thanks!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mavericks (10.9)

Posted on May 3, 2015 1:07 PM

36 replies

Apr 5, 2017 11:47 AM in response to BeSharp

My watch 1st series is doing it as well. However, prior to the issues beginning the back of the watch came off in the magnetic stand one morning. When I researched it, I found others reporting the same thing. People stating that between the wetting, sweating, and magnetic pull from the charging stand must be wearing down the glue or seal on the watch. It makes sense. When I called Apple they told me it would cost 150 dollars to repair this defect that is clearly in the watch itself. What a waste of a 300 dollar watch. I love Apple and have been an apple addict with my iPhone 7 plus, Mac mini, mini iPad, iPad 2, and watch gone bad. Needless to say I am very disappointed as Apple doesn't allow any other smart watches to function on the level of the Apple Watch, unlike android which gives you options to be other smart watches for your phone. Not sure what to do now.

Jul 12, 2017 10:10 PM in response to BeSharp

i had exactly same problem with my 42SS apple watch, tried to restart both iphone and the watch, rematching the two devices, matching with another iPhone, matching with a new iPhone, nothing solved the problem, went to seek genius bar support, test showed that all sensors are "fine", if they do not even have this bug(no matter hardware or software) fixed, their diagnostic tools surely won't find the problem, i guess its a hardware issue, since it is already out of the warranty period, i decide not to return for a paid repair, i think i will disassemble it later on while i am free, just want to see what the problem it is, i am more curious to find out the root cause than the apple guys, isn't this too sad!

Aug 3, 2017 11:41 AM in response to NormanLi

I Bought the Apple Watch 42mm a week and half ago. The first couple hours worked great. Since then I never really get any alerts or notifications. U spent over an hour at the AT&T where I bought it today after work. He did resets of my iPhone 7plus and Apple Watch. By the time I left he had my Watch working again. A half hour after leaving there, once again same problem, NOT WORKING right!! I have spent all my free time trying to figure out what is wrong with this Watch. Finally I just turned off wrist detection and my watch started working right. I am bringing my Watch back tomorrow and letting them know that I want a new one. I do have tattoo's on my arm, but have tried it on other people to see if that is the problem and it had no effect bcuz they didn't have tattoo's and I do. I am not letting them just send my Watch away to get fixed and then by the time my warranty is up it is not working again. I am going to demand a new watch. I am not wasting $400.00. I have always had an iPod/iPhone's since they came out. This is the first time ever that I have had an issue with Apple products. It seems like it is an issue a lot of people are having and it has been going on for a long time now. Why have u not already had this issue fixed Apple??? It is a big deal to a lot of us who want to get the full use/effect out of our Apple watches.

Nov 19, 2017 6:31 PM in response to BeSharp

I have had this same problem on and off for 2 years. I am sure this is a software bug as watchOS 4.1 was released and in the release notes they said they fixed the issue. When I updated sure enough my wrist detection started working and my stand reminders started working too, but alas it did not last. 6 days after I updated my stand reminders stopped coming and wrist detection stopped working as well.

May 3, 2015 6:20 PM in response to BeSharp

I (fortunately for me) have not seen these issues. I did find that perhaps I had the Watch too tight and when loosening it one notch on the Sports Band I do seem to get more notifications - though never the locking/unlocking issue, and having the same stand up issues of a lot of people.

But I agree, that it seems your watch has an issue with the wrist sensor and should be brought back. Seems like you are having too many issues that all could be related to the sensor.

May 8, 2015 11:56 AM in response to BeSharp

I'm having exactly the same problem with my 42mm Stainless. Like you, it worked fine for the first several hours i had the watch, then suddenly, it started locking constantly. I too have had friends try on the watch (with different skin tones, etc) and we all experience the watch locking every time it goes dark. I went to the Genius bar and they ran diagnostics on the watch and phone and found no errors, though the guy suggested I send the watch in to have the sensor inspected/repaired (they don't have any on hand, so he couldn't replace it). Given I didn't want to send my watch away for 5 days (I had only had it one day) and there seems to be some speculation (at least from some of the threads I've read online) that this specific issue may be software related, i kept the watch and use it without wrist detection turned on (though, this ****** me off, as I love using apple pay and the stand functionality doesn't work now). I'm curious what you were told at your Genius appointment.

May 30, 2015 7:18 AM in response to BeSharp

I am having a similar issue with Wrist Detect.

I've had my 42mm stainless steel Apple Watch since April 24th. For the first month, Wrist Detect worked perfectly with no issues. Then, randomly one night, it stopped working. No matter what I tried (restarting iPhone, restarting watch), nothing helped. I took it to the Apple Store and they couldn't figure it out either until the last thing we tried which was to restore and set up as new Apple Watch. That seemed to "fix" it...for several hours. I was installing all my watch apps back again, and then Wrist Detect stopped working again 😟

SO, I set up another appointment with the Apple Store. In the day I had to wait before my appointment, I tried everything but nothing worked restarting, cleaning, restoring as new Apple Watch (the same thing that appeared to work in the Apple Store a few days earlier) multiple times, but Wrist Detect continued to fail. When I finally arrived for my appointment, it randomly started working again when I tried to show them the issue! The guy was really nice and offered to log it as a hardware issue and send it away to have it checked even though all the evidence pointed to a software issue. I decided to keep the watch for now.

Now, here I am one week later, after installing all my apps and having everything working perfectly for a whole week, and Wrist Detect has once again stopped working as of this morning. It's quite a puzzling issue. I have no tattoos and several weeks history with Wrist Detect working fine. It does appear to be a software issue, but I can't find any commonalities between all three times it has stopped working. Heart rate sensors work fine when I pull it up in glances. I thought that was how they detected the wrist contact, but now I'm not so sure.

Please let me know if anyone figures this out!!

Jun 15, 2015 10:07 AM in response to BeSharp

I was able to reach Apple technical support and they suggested that I try synching my watch with another device to see if it truly was a software problem. However, I was still having the same issue, which led them to believe it was a hardware issue. They sent me a new watch and I've not had any further issues, so it must have been an issue with the watch itself. Really enjoying the full functionality of the watch now.

Serious issue with wrist detection, stand time and unlock (not tattoo related)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.