Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch will not unlock

I recently went into a store and left my phone in the truck. Came out and now the watch says, "Device is locked. Unlock iphone to start using Apple watch. Unlocking the phone has no affect on clearing or unlocking the watch. I have rebooted phone and watch to no affect. This actually happened the first day I had the watch and I unpaired/repaired the watch. I shouldn't have to do that to clear this issue. Please advise.

Apple Watch Sport 38mm, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 3, 2015 2:27 PM

9 replies

May 5, 2015 1:00 PM in response to hiknmt06

Hello there, hikmt06.

It sounds like you may be experiencing unexpected issues with the Bluetooth connection between your iOS device and your Apple Watch.

There are a few basic tests you can try found here, in the online Apple Watch User Guide:

Restart Apple Watch - Apple Watch User Guide.

Restart Apple Watch

If something isn’t working right, try restarting or resetting Apple Watch and its paired iPhone.

Restart Apple Watch. To turn off Apple Watch, press and hold the side button until the sliders appear, then drag the Power Off slider to the right. To turn Apple Watch back on, hold down the side button until the Apple logo appears.

Restart the paired iPhone. To turn off iPhone, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the slider appears, then drag the slider to the right. To turn iPhone back on, hold down the Sleep/Wake button until the Apple logo appears.

If you can’t turn off Apple Watch or if the problem continues, you may need to force Apple Watch to restart. Do this only if you’re unable to restart your Apple Watch.

Force Apple Watch to restart. Hold down the side button and the Digital Crown at the same time for at least ten seconds, until the Apple logo appears.

If you find the issue persists you may need to restore the Apple Watch. Keep in mind this does erase all contents and settings:

Reset Apple Watch settings - Apple Watch User Guide

Thanks for participating in Apple Support Communities.

Kind Regards,

Pedro.

Jul 6, 2015 8:23 AM in response to ken604

Unfortunately this happened to me as well. In the process of restoring my Apple Watch to Factory settings. Sure hope this does not happen a lot. A little disappointing/annoying.

Update: Once I reset the Apple Watch and went through the pair process, I was able to restore my watch from a backup on my iPhone. That was nice.

Aug 1, 2015 8:23 AM in response to hiknmt06

I had the same issue. The Watch did not unlock upon unlocking my iPhone. I restarted the Watch but that did not work - like others report above. The Watch still remained locked. I restarted my iPhone (IOS 8.4). I use an extended password on my iPhone and therefore had to type it in to unlock the phone (finger print does not work after restart). After typing in my password and I then followed the normal routine (Watch on arm then unlock iPhone) I was able to get the watch connected to the phone again.

Watch will not unlock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.