Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to backup and restore an iPhone without using iCloud or iTunes?

I am looking for alternative ways to keep my iPhone safe without having to pay apple for iCloud storage or the inconvenience of connecting my iPhone to iTunes all the time.

Posted on May 3, 2015 5:13 PM

5 replies

May 4, 2015 9:01 AM in response to alex-stewart

alex-stewart wrote:

Thanks for answering Michael, what about app content?

If I lose my iPhone and have everything backed up on iCloud, when i restore a new iPhone will my app content restore?

While there are a few rare exceptions, yes, for the most part app's data is backed up, just not the actual app itself (since they reside in Apple's online stores all the time anyway, and you can just re-download them from your purchased app list).

Also note that the things on your iPhone under your iCloud account settings that synchronize between devices via iCloud (things like contacts, calendars) are NOT part of the backup file. They have copies in iCloud and thus can be re-sync'd to your device once you restore it and set up the same iCloud account again. But beware that there is a difference between things that are part of the backup file, and a few things that are separate and synchronized between devices via iCloud (e.g. if you never enabled contacts sync'ing under your iPhone's iCloud settings, and did not independently backup your contacts to your computer, then they could be lost as they are NOT in the device's iCloud backup file).

Is there a way to backup and restore an iPhone without using iCloud or iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.