Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do you delete an admin account?

I transfered data through the migration assistant during the set up so I got my Father's name as the main admin user. I made another admin account using my information, but then afterwards I could not delete the other admin user. I was using "User & Groups" in the System Preferences.

Where did I go wrong?

Thanks,

Johnny

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on May 3, 2015 4:28 PM

2 replies

May 3, 2015 8:27 PM in response to barrjohnm

The normal procedure would be to log into the new admin account, then use "-" in "Users & Groups" to delete the old one. Was that what you tried? Did you unlock the padlock at the bottom of the left side of the panel?

If you tried that and it failed, how did it fail? Unable to unlock the padlock? Unable to select old admin account? Error message? Something else (what?)?

May 8, 2015 11:17 AM in response to markwmsn

Hi,

Sorry about the late reply!

First I used Migrate Assistance to transfer data from my Dad's Desktop to mu new iMac. It copied everything, but it also made my Dad's account the main one, call Jim. After this I create account (admin) my myself called john. I made sure I was logged out of both accounts.

I would then logged in as myself, went to Users & Groups to try and log out the use Jim but when I clicked on the account it did nothing, there was no response something like when an item that is greyed out. I at no problem clicking on the Guest account and make modifications if I wanted. Yes I did unlock the system with the admin password so I cold make changes.

I felt the best way, since everything I tried had failed I did a clean install. now I have everything set up the way that I want.

Yes the error was that I was unable to to select the other admin account.

Thanks so much for your help!

Johnny

how do you delete an admin account?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.