Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Yosemite iMac...but other iMac (mavericks) and iPad cannot connect

Hi...I have two trusty old iMacs (2007). Both would connect to each other (Connect as...logon/password) easily before I upgraded the 24" iMac to Yosemite. The other iMac is still Mavericks (I do NOT want to upgrade that computer because it runs important apps now "dead" in Yosemite).

Though I can connect to the other 20" iMac running mavericks from the iMac running Yosemite, I cannot as stated before do the reverse. Also, I just bought FileBrowser for my iPad. It can easily connect using the logon/password to the iMac running Mavericks...but not the iMac running Yosemite. What gives?

Thanks for the help guys.

Posted on May 3, 2015 6:02 PM

6 replies

May 3, 2015 7:52 PM in response to Linc Davis

Hi Linc.

Both iMacs and the iPad are on my WiFi network. On the FileBrowser devices on network list, I see both my iMacs. It can connect to the Mavericks iMac, using the logon/password. But it cannot do so to the Yosemite iMac.

On the Mavericks iMac, the Yosemite iMac shows up under "shared" like all other computers on the WiFi network, in Finder. You know, the left hand pane.

It seems Yosemite broke my ability to logon to the Yosemite iMac. This was never an issue when the same iMac was running Mavericks.

Thanks for your reply.

There is no Firewall enabled, not on the Airport Extreme, nor any iMac.

May 3, 2015 8:55 PM in response to Cuttock

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then try to mount the file share. Select any lines that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

May 6, 2015 3:39 AM in response to Cuttock

In OS X Yosemite this problem is usually caused by the OS X user account being linked to an iCloud account. iCloud linked accounts cannot be used to connect to the SMB server. To unlink the accounts go to "System Preferences" > "Users & Groups", select your user and click "Change Password" then choose "Use Separate Password". Please note, your Mac OS X username may not be the same as your iCloud username.

For example:

iCloud username: myname@example.com

OS X username: myname

OS X display name: My Name

Once you've configured the user to use a different password, you should use either the OS X username (for example, myname) or OS X display name (for example, My Name) in FileBrowser.

Yosemite iMac...but other iMac (mavericks) and iPad cannot connect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.