Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to sync Ipod on new computer without deleting everything?

I will be using a new computer soon, and I have a very extensive archive of a radio show that I don't want to be deleted from my Ipod Classic when I sync, does anyone have a solution?

iPod classic 160GB (Late 2009), Windows 8

Posted on May 3, 2015 7:55 PM

1 reply

May 3, 2015 8:14 PM in response to OandAfan

See How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support. The key thing is to copy the complete iTunes library - media, database, artwork, associated files - which is by default (Windows Vista, 7 or 8) located at C:\Users\username\Music\iTunes. This folder should be self-contained, i.e., all your media should be within the iTunes Media folder and its subfolders - the overall structure of the library should be like this:

User uploaded file

With respect to syncing, the rule that's enforced within iTunes is that any iDevice can only be synced with one library at a time, and when it is connected to a different library its previous content will be erased before syncing can occur. However, when you copy the complete library structure you are replicating the library (the unique identification that controls sync behavior is part of the iTunes database - the iTunes Library.itl file) so iTunes will see the copy on the new computer as being the same library as that previously synced with, avoiding the issue of erasing an iDevice.

See also turingtest2's user tip on Make a split library portable for more details on the layout that an iTunes library should have to make it simple to migrate between computers (as well as facilitating the process of creating and maintaining a backup of your library). You should also try and avoid the situation where you have any media that is on your iPod but is not in your iTunes library - iPods are neither designed nor suitable as data storage devices.

How to sync Ipod on new computer without deleting everything?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.