Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort Extreme Router suddenly gets very slow.

2.5 year old AirPort Extreme router worked well until 2-3 months ago when it began throttling down my internet speed. Was getting 25Mps for download and it's now 2Mps. Upload not affected. When I connect ethernet directly to the PC it goes back to 25Mps. I haven't made any changes to the physical environment or any of the settings. 95% of the time there are only 2 phones and 2 Windows 7 PCs as clients. Occasionally there is an Xbox Live online as well.

I have changed my ethernet and modem cables and neither helped. Have also googled changes to the PC settings and none of those helped either.

Any help would be great because the internet is nearly unusable most of the time.

Thanks

Chris

AirPort Extreme-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on May 3, 2015 5:43 PM

5 replies

May 3, 2015 6:04 PM in response to cfox0201

Troubleshooting an Extreme that suddenly stops working or exhibits strange symptoms generally starts and ends with a "hard reset" (see below). After that you will need to reconfigure it using AirPort Utility.

Be sure that you can use AirPort Utility first, because I do not know if will work with Windows 7, and after a "hard reset" the Extreme will be useless until you reconfigure it.

To "hard reset" an AirPort Base Station: make sure it's powered up, then gently press and hold its tiny reset button. Don't apply any more force than required to feel a tactile click. Keep it depressed for five to ten seconds, long enough for its LED to flash amber rapidly. Release the reset button. Then, the LED will glow amber steadily for about a minute. Then, it will flash amber, slowly, about once every second or two, waiting for you to configure it with AirPort Utility.

May 4, 2015 3:10 PM in response to cfox0201

At this point, there are really two possibilities in play.

1) The AirPort....specifically the wireless radio.....is defective.

2) There are sources of wireless interference around you that are affecting the performance of your network.

If we opt for 2) above first, then we will all likely be exchanging multiple posts of "try this" and "try thats" which may take up a good deal of time.....with no solution found if 1) is true.

So, if you have an Apple Store near you, it might be a good idea to take the AirPort to them to let them test it out. If it performs up to speed at the store, then you know that the AirPort is operating correctly and we will need to deal with the issues of 2) above.

If the AirPort does not perform well at the Apple Store, then you know that 1) is true, and you will be able to save a great deal of time and frustration trying to explore all the possibilities in 2) which will yield no useful results.

Which option would you like to pursue first?

May 4, 2015 3:19 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Bob - thanks for the reply.

I opted for number 1 on the way home from work. Picked up a new router and figured I would take it back if it didn't fix the issue. It appears to have done just that. Throughput is now back to normal and all is well with the world. Will hold on to the old one for a couple of days to make sure the good fortune isn't an anomaly.

Appreciate the feedback.

AirPort Extreme Router suddenly gets very slow.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.