Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant update os or apps in app store, get Your device or computer could not be verified

See below, I have tried my personal apple ID in case the work one does not work.

I have tried deleting the network plist file as I have seen in other posts, did not help.

I tried only on wired LAN

I tried recovery and resinstall o/s, nope

This laptop had a bad wifi slot on MB and the Owner of company wanted a new one, had Apple store migrate all files over for us.

Adding this as comment in case there is something they did to make this one no longer active. We bought a new laptop so disappointed if that is the case.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on May 3, 2015 7:35 PM

5 replies

May 3, 2015 7:40 PM in response to MBS Admin

Back up all data before proceeding.

Step 1

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it:

/Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/NetworkInterfaces.plist

Right-click or control-click the line and select

Services Reveal in Finder (or just Reveal)

from the contextual menu.* A folder should open with an item selected. Move the selected item to the Trash. You may be prompted for your administrator login password. Restart the computer and test.

*If you don't see the contextual menu item, copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. You won't see what you pasted because a line break is included. Press return.

Log out, log back in, and test. If there's no improvement, continue.

Step 2

Reset your computer’s PRAM.

May 3, 2015 8:53 PM in response to MBS Admin

Launch the Console application in any of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go ▹ Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

The title of the Console window should be All Messages. If it isn't, select

SYSTEM LOG QUERIES ▹ All Messages

from the log list on the left. If you don't see that list, select

View ▹ Show Log List

from the menu bar at the top of the screen.

Click the Clear Display icon in the toolbar. Then take an action that isn't working the way you expect. Select any lines that appear in the Console window. Copy them to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C. Paste into a reply to this message by pressing command-V.

The log contains a vast amount of information, almost all of which is irrelevant to solving any particular problem. When posting a log extract, be selective. A few dozen lines are almost always more than enough.

Please don't indiscriminately dump thousands of lines from the log into this discussion.

Please don't post screenshots of log messages—post the text.

Some private information, such as your name or email address, may appear in the log. Anonymize before posting.

When you post the log extract, you might see an error message on the web page: "You have included content in your post that is not permitted," or "The message contains invalid characters." That's a bug in the forum software. Please post the text on Pastebin, then post a link here to the page you created.

May 12, 2015 1:37 PM in response to Linc Davis

got caught up in some high priority issues at work,,

log does not show too much.. it think the entry bolded below may be the only clue, unless the other repeating entries help?

Name Servers down? I would think to be DNS, but I have not problem searching browsing anywhere, which would use name servers.

2015-05-12 1:28:33.349 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[157]: (ouc.plist[11775]) Exited with code: 1

2015-05-12 1:28:33.349 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[157]: (ouc.plist) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

2015-05-12 1:28:43.378 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[157]: (ouc.plist[11789]) Exited with code: 1

2015-05-12 1:28:43.378 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[157]: (ouc.plist) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

2015-05-12 1:28:46.949 PM netbiosd[148]: name servers down?

2015-05-12 1:28:53.405 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[157]: (ouc.plist[11803]) Exited with code: 1

2015-05-12 1:28:53.405 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[157]: (ouc.plist) Throttling respawn: Will start in 10 seconds

2015-05-12 1:29:03.433 PM com.apple.launchd.peruser.501[157]: (ouc.plist[11817]) Exited with code: 1

May 12, 2015 2:04 PM in response to MBS Admin

I just got it going... Apparently deleting both networkinterface.plist (this one i had tried already) as well as the com.apple.network.eapolclient.configuration.plist and reboot solved it.

When i rebooted i noticed my wifi in network preferences behaved like a Thunderbolt Ethernet, showing connected with cable, but wifi would not work.

I fixed both the Thunderbolt and Ethernet and Wifi so they were respectively correct.

My hunch is I heard that apple also uses MAC Address to confirm the device. So I am guessing it was sending back wrong MAC address for connection type????

Either way it is working,, in case anyone else has similar problem

the files were in library/preferences/systemconfiguration

cant update os or apps in app store, get Your device or computer could not be verified

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.