Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Not Connected" Ethernet Cable Question

Please heeeellllp!

After searching (forever) to try and find a similar setup and solution without luck, I'm asking for help.

I have 2 airport extreme base stations (AEBS) and an Airport Express (AEX).

ALL ethernets are Cat5e.

They are setup like this

Modem----->AEBS 1 (2nd Floor) -----> AEBS 2 (Attic) -----> AEX

AEBS 2 and AEX are in bridge mode. AEBS 1 is not.

I have a plug that connects AEBS 1 to an iMac about 150 feet away that is not being recognized. This is the problem I need fixed. Its far enough away where the wifi goes in and out, but this is my office computer, so I need to have a reliable connection for business (hence the ethernet hard wire idea).

I have a cable tester, and it shows the Cat5e (tone tested) to be wired properly and ready for use. However the iMac shows my ethernet status as "Not Connected"

I can hard wire a laptop (with a shorter Cat5e) to the same AEBS 1 ethernet port and it works fine so Its not the AEBS port.

I have tried hard resetting all modems/routers in order they are connected and still the ethernet is not recognized at the AEBS (1)

Do I need to be plugging my iMac into a different AEBS, or changing any of the network settings? Im frustrated, tired, and hot from climbing in the attic one too many times. Your help is appreciated!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), null

Posted on May 3, 2015 6:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2015 7:18 PM

I can hard wire a laptop (with a shorter Cat5e) to the same AEBS 1 ethernet port and it works fine so Its not the AEBS port.

So, you know that the Ethernet cable is working correctly, and you know that the Ethernet port on the AEBS is working correctly.

It might be a bit of a hassle, but as a test, you need to temporarily move the iMac so that it connects to the Ethernet cable......instead of the laptop.

What happens when you do this?

If Ethernet is still shown as Not Connected at the iMac.....and you already know that the Ethernet cable is working and you already know that the port on the AEBS is working.....the Ethernet port on the iMac is defective, and will need to be repaired.

Now.....if the iMac does recognize the Ethernet connection during your "test".....then despite what your cable tester might indicate, the long Ethernet cable is not wired correctly., and you will need to rewire both Ethernet plugs at both ends to get things working correctly. When the iMac connects using Ethernet, that will confirm that your plug wiring is correct.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 3, 2015 7:18 PM in response to UntiltheEnd

So, you know that the Ethernet cable is working correctly, and you know that the Ethernet port on the AEBS is working correctly.

It might be a bit of a hassle, but as a test, you need to temporarily move the iMac so that it connects to the Ethernet cable......instead of the laptop.

What happens when you do this?

If Ethernet is still shown as Not Connected at the iMac.....and you already know that the Ethernet cable is working and you already know that the port on the AEBS is working.....the Ethernet port on the iMac is defective, and will need to be repaired.

Now.....if the iMac does recognize the Ethernet connection during your "test".....then despite what your cable tester might indicate, the long Ethernet cable is not wired correctly., and you will need to rewire both Ethernet plugs at both ends to get things working correctly. When the iMac connects using Ethernet, that will confirm that your plug wiring is correct.

May 3, 2015 7:17 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Ding ding, we have a winner (or loser)

Took out the ethernet from my macbook, hauled the iMac upstairs to it, and plugged it in. Still no ethernet connection.

I guess its the network card

Another thought-

I am running an older operating system on it (very old 10.6.8 I think) could this make my network card not work/communicate?

Just a thought before I ship it off to be worked on

May 3, 2015 7:24 PM in response to UntiltheEnd

Well darn.....was hoping that the port on the iMac would start working, since repairs on a cable are a lot easier than repairs on a Mac.

You do have the wireless turned off on the iMac, correct?

If yes, try disabling, then enabling Ethernet in System Preferences > Network to see if that will get things jump started. Virtually any operating system will work with Ethernet, if the Ethernet card is operational.

"Not Connected" Ethernet Cable Question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.