Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I was able to create a guest network, However Devices will not log into it. Does this have anything to do with my uverse wireless modem

Help, I have created the guest network. However, no devices can log into it. Can someone help me with my Guest network issues?

Posted on May 3, 2015 7:19 PM

2 replies

May 3, 2015 7:47 PM in response to ricksoto1111

Unfortunately, Apple assumes that you will be using a simple modem with their routers. Something like this, for example, which will allow the Guest Network feature to work correctly, since the AirPort will be the main router on the network.

User uploaded file

The Uverse is a modem/router, also known as a gateway......a device that combines the functions of a separate modem and separate router in one package. An example of a modem/router would look like this:

User uploaded file

Because the Uverse is already operating as the main router for the network, the AirPort cannot take that role. So, the Guest Network will not function correctly with the type of device that you have.....even if you try to enable it in AirPort Utility.

Suggest that you use the AirPort router as your main network, and use the Uverse wireless for "guests".

Sometimes, it is possible to reconfigure a modem/router to act as if it were a simple modem. I do not think that this is possible with a Uverse product, but you could check with ATT on that possibility if you wanted to do so.

I was able to create a guest network, However Devices will not log into it. Does this have anything to do with my uverse wireless modem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.