Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2010 imac i7 hard drive spinning continuously

A couple of years ago, my imac was overloaded on it's circuit. The imac was under warranty and they "fixed" it, but it took them a week and they had such a hard time that they almost replaced the machine.

Now, after pretty light use for the last couple of years, the machine starts very slowly and the hard drive spins much too much.

I have run onyx and it says that there aren't any errors with the drive.

I certainly could have the machine upgraded with an SSD, but I am concerned that the hard drive isn't the issue.

Any ideas? I am running the latest os.

Considering an upgrade, but hesitant to sell this machine.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), i7 machine squirrel cage hard drive

Posted on May 3, 2015 8:38 PM

7 replies

Aug 26, 2015 12:00 AM in response to MichelPM

Michel

I have no idea. I have had macs for a very long time. I only posted this issue in this one thread. Not sure why no one from apple even tried to take a shot at it.

I was trying to get some input on the issue, as I was unsure if I should upgrade the computer. If the logic board was toast or something else major, you don't want to throw a bunch of money at it.

After all this time, I finally gave up and rolled the dice on a new ssd, memory upgrade, and fresh os install. It appears to have done the trick.

I think the issue was an old install, with a lot of ghosts in it, coupled with only 4gb of memory. It was causing the machine to continuously write back to the hard drive. Was painful to use.

Running great now.

Thanks for checking in with me.

2010 imac i7 hard drive spinning continuously

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.