Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV not displaying iMac (late 2012) Mirror Screen

Problem: After extensive research in both these forums and youtube I have yet to resolve my issue when mirroring my iMac to my Apple TV via Airplay - the screen stays black when 'connected'.

Current set-up:

1. iMac 27inch Yosemite 10.10.3 (Late 2012)
  2. Apple TV (Gen 3 Rev A)

Current Situation:

I have both my iMac and my Apple TV on the same network at home within 5 feet of each other (no room for wireless disturbance). I can access Airplay from both the systems preference > displays window and top bar menu, but I notice my AirPlay dropdown menu is missing the "Match Desktop Size" feature.

User uploaded file

With Extend Desktop automatically checked off - all my HD Projector displays is a black screen until I hit the Menu button on the Apple TV remote to exit.

What is really the issue here?

I will try to see if my firmware for my router maybe the issue - but I highly doubt it.

Interesting Note: I can connect my iPhone 6 and iPad Mini seamlessly.

Apple TV (3rd generation), iOS 8.3

Posted on May 3, 2015 7:22 PM

20 replies

May 3, 2015 7:52 PM in response to cperklv

Frustrating right? I've been troubleshooting this for hours...

Update: When I click on Mirror iMac from the dropdown - nothing happens, it's as if I had never clicked on it. When 'connected' and black screen is present - I lose my speaker sounds on my iMac so it seems as if the iMac is trying to connect to Apple TV - sending sound and image, but nothing comes up on the Apple TV/projector end.

May 10, 2015 10:10 AM in response to CreativeAgent

I have the same problem:

Current set-up:

1. iMac 27inc Yosemite 10.10.2

2. iMac 27inc Yosemite 10.10.3

3. Apple TV (gen 3 rev A) Up to date.

With the iMac Yosemite 10.10.2 the connection with the apple tv works fine.

But with the other iMac 10.10.3 (newer than the other) doesn't work. The audio is working but we can only see a black screen.

If both computers are at the same distance, in the same network, connect by cable, it has to be software problem.

Let's see if apple give us a solution.

May 16, 2015 3:52 PM in response to CreativeAgent

I having same problem. Can't use AirPlay to mirror my iMac. Working fine with iPhone & iPad. When I attempt to turn AirPlay on, the TV screen goes black; recovers when I turn AirPlay off. When I check off the Show mirroring option in menu bar, I cannot get the menu bar drop down to change from Extend to Mirror. btw, I suspect problem may have originated with installing Duet Display app this past week. Can Anyone else with this problem confirm/reject the Duet Display association?

May 20, 2015 8:08 AM in response to ronyork234

I do not know what the Duet Display app is, but I can assure you I'm having the same issue with my screen turning black as soon as the Airplay connection between iMac and Apple TV is on.

I 'restarted' my router by turning it off and on, but I'm sure there's an admin feature on the IP Admin settings site via my ISP/Router web address, still have not tried to access that and fiddle around, but I have a feeling that it will lead to the solution... Anyone else resolved this yet?

May 23, 2015 9:10 AM in response to CreativeAgent

UPDATE

I am now able to to play sound through my projector using Airplay - very weird occurrence here... still no actual Mirror or screen display. This means that information is definitely being delivered - the real question is, why is what is displaying on my current iMac screen not being displayed or extended to the projector but the sound is?

I accessed the router login screen and rebooted the connection from the factory IP web address - it's an administrative screen you access when first setting up your Router.

I have a Netgear Router - could this be the issue? Still does not explain the fact that I can Airplay iPhone and iPad seamlessly.

Apple!?!

May 23, 2015 9:33 AM in response to CreativeAgent

2 NEW POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS

1. Take a look at this link which dives further into the relationship between your HDTV and your AppleTV - try the steps there Apple TV (2nd and 3rd generation): About Apple TV and HDCP - Apple Support
  2. The only other possibility I am willing to try is actually buy a 'Apple HDMI to HDMI' and see if this will work - I wouldn't put it past Apple to restrict users to their own HDMI cables. Available for purchase here - http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC838LL/B/apple-hdmi-to-hdmi-cable-18-m But I think I'm going to go to a Best Buy

Let me know if any of this works for you guys?! Maybe I'm missing something!

Apple TV not displaying iMac (late 2012) Mirror Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.