Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV3 will not act as Bonjour sleep proxy

Hi everyone - I'm one of these people who has a 'little bit of everything' in my local network, so its only as I'm tearing it down to move house that I'm starting to find a few things. This one in particular relates to the Bonjour Sleep Proxy on the network - specifically that my AppleTV3s (I have 2 of them), neither will advertise a sleep proxy service (checked using 'dns-sd -B _sleep-proxy._udp local'), resulting in me being unable to wake sleeping machines (which do have 'wake for network' access enabled).

Now I have an old TimeCapsule, and also an old AppleTV2 - which, when I plug them in both will advertise as sleep proxies on the local network - but based on my understanding from this article;

About Wake on Demand and Bonjour Sleep Proxy - Apple Support

Anything later than an ATV2 should also work (i.e. either of the ATV3's). I've tried resetting to defaults, they are both running the latest firmware, and I have confirmed that it doesn't offer the service either over wifi or ethernet. I'm getting rid of unnecessary hardware as I move, the ATV2 and TC being both surplus.

Anyone else come across this and have a solution for ATV3's as a sleep proxy? (other than leaving the ATV2 and old TimeCapsule installed, purely for this purpose)

Apple TV, null

Posted on May 3, 2015 8:15 PM

13 replies

May 11, 2015 12:54 AM in response to Richard Burrows

I am also having the same issue , the main issue why I bought Apple TV is that it supports Bonjour Sleep Proxy and to stream content to my TV. I have an ASUS router which runs on OpenWRT. I thought it could be an issue with my primary router so what I did was to use my old Apple AirPort Express (802.11g) and Apple TV together and yet , bonjour sleep proxy service is not being advertised at all.

Did Apple remove Bonjour Sleep proxy services from Apple TV 3 or is there any way to activate it

May 11, 2015 7:42 AM in response to Richard Burrows

Just to clarify, did you run the experiment with the Time Capsule on or off the network?

From the article you mentioned:

Once installed, your AirPort Base Station, Time Capsule or Apple TV (when no AirPort base station or Time Capsule is present on the network) will make itself available as a Bonjour Sleep Proxy to other devices on your network with no other configuration necessary.

I read this to say that if the TC is present, the ATVs will not advertise.

Let us know the combinations of Sleep-Proxy-capable devices that you have tested with.

May 11, 2015 10:37 AM in response to jjkraw

So the experiment goes like this;

1) Only TimeCapsule on the network - TC advertises sleep proxy

2) Only ATV2 on the network - ATV2 advertises sleep proxy

3) Only ATV3 on the network - no sleep proxy is advertised

4) ATV3 and Timecapsule - TC advertises sleep proxy

5) ATV3 and ATV2 - ATV2 advertises Sleep Proxy

6) All devices on the network - BOTH TC and ATV2 advertise sleep proxy

7) Just TC and ATV2 on network - BOTH TC and ATV2 advertise sleep proxy

I have tried various combinations of the above, and in all cases the ATV3 refuses to offer the SleepProxy, but the TC and the ATV2 always do.

I originally suspected the same as you re: the TC role, but as you can see when both ATV2 and TC are connected they both offer the SleepProxy Service (implying that the sleeproxy is not a one-only service, although the TC is always likely to advertise itself as the more preferential service).

May 30, 2015 5:52 AM in response to jjkraw

As an aside regarding:

Apple TV won't wake up for AirPlay request

A few of us have found that by programming a second remote (e.g., a DVD remote) to work with the Apple TV that it will then stay responsive and wake up properly for AirPlay.

Not that this helps with the Sleep Proxy issue.

Any of you still have an ATV under support? If so, mind making a phone call or having a chat w/ Apple Support about this to see what they say?

AppleTV3 will not act as Bonjour sleep proxy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.