Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

mac will not start up all the way. doesn't even make it to the login screen. I'm not tech savvy so I don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My mac won't completely start up. The screen lights up, the chime sounds, the fan goes on. The apple logo appears then something like a loading box pops up under the logo. It then disappears. A few seconds later it shuts off. Can anyone help with this?

Mac Pro, iOS 8.1.2

Posted on May 3, 2015 10:23 PM

6 replies

May 3, 2015 10:59 PM in response to msgdeshazer

Hi msgdeshazer,

There are numerous things can that prevent your mac from starting correctly. First of all, follow these steps to try running Disk Utility in Recovery Mode (You may wish to jot these down on a piece of paper so you don't forget):

• Restart your Mac and hold down the Command + R keys at startup.
  • Next, a screen titled OSX Utilities will appear. From here click on Disk Utility.
  • Now choose your Macs built in hard drive from the left column of this page.
  • Click on Verify Disk (lower right of window) and wait for your Mac to do it's thing.
  • Restart

Does this work? 🙂

Good luck!

May 4, 2015 6:22 AM in response to msgdeshazer

Hi msgdeshazer,

Not a problem. Reformatting your disk is just as straightforward as what you have just tried. However please bear in mind reformatting your disc is like a fresh start. You will re-install OSX and you will lose all your data. Imagine turning on a brand new Mac, that's what you will experience 🙂

To begin, follow these steps (you may wish to jot these down again): Apple Article - OS X Yosemite: Erase and reinstall OS X

• Restart your Mac. When you hear the chime (Mac startup sound) Hold down the Command + R keys.
  • Select Disk Utility, then click continue,
  • Select your Macs startup disk from the left hand menu, then click the Erase tab.
  • Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) from the format menu, enter a name, then click Erase.
  • After the disk is erased, choose Disk Utility > Quit Disk Utility
  • Finally, select Reinstall OSX, then click continue and follow the steps.

Good luck 🙂

May 4, 2015 6:55 AM in response to msgdeshazer

You have just been given instructions that would destroy every bit of data you have beyond any chance of recovery, if you don't have backups, and also would not solve the problem.

The startup drive is failing, or there is some other internal hardware fault.

Back up all data on the drive immediately if you don't already have a current backup. There are ways to back up a computer that isn't fully functional—ask if you need guidance.

Make a "Genius" appointment at an Apple Store, or go to another authorized service provider.

If privacy is a concern, erase the data partition(s) with the option to write zeros* (do this only if you have at least two complete, independent backups, and you know how to restore to an empty drive from any of them.) Don’t erase the recovery partition, if present.

Keeping your confidential data secure during hardware repair

Apple also recommends that you deauthorize a device in the iTunes Store before having it serviced.

*An SSD doesn't need to be zeroed.

mac will not start up all the way. doesn't even make it to the login screen. I'm not tech savvy so I don't know what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.