Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing two Airport Extremes

HI I would just like to check with you experts if I am installing my devices correctly. I have a wifi modem router (can't find a simple modem), the wifi is turned off. The first Extreme is connected to the modems LAN (WAN on Extreme). No other device is connected to the other LAN ports on the modem. The second Extreme is connected to the first by CAT 5 cable (WAN port of the second unit). Now I read I need the second unit to have the same WiFi network name and password, and that it needs to be in bridge mode, but what about the first Extreme? As its connected to a router (modem/router) does that need to be in bridge mode too?

Thanks

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on May 4, 2015 1:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2015 9:38 AM

Since you already have a modem/router "upstream" on the network, and you only want one device on a network acting as a router, both of the AirPorts need to be setup in Bridge Mode.

The setup utility may have already done this for you. If not, you are likely seeing messages about Double NAT.

The AirPorts do not need to have the same wireless network name and password, unless you want them to.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2015 9:38 AM in response to Richard Mac User

Since you already have a modem/router "upstream" on the network, and you only want one device on a network acting as a router, both of the AirPorts need to be setup in Bridge Mode.

The setup utility may have already done this for you. If not, you are likely seeing messages about Double NAT.

The AirPorts do not need to have the same wireless network name and password, unless you want them to.

May 4, 2015 9:47 AM in response to Richard Mac User

Not sure if you were using this Apple support document to set things up, or a similar Apple document......

Wi-Fi base stations: Extending the range of your wireless network by adding additional Wi-Fi base stations - Apple Suppo…

Unfortunately, Apple assumes that you will be using a simple modem in all of their illustrations.....not a modem/router or gateway....so if you followed Apple's instructions, you set up the first AirPort incorrectly.

Apple would do well to provide illustrations on how to configure devices when you have modem/router or gateway......which a majority of users have.

Installing two Airport Extremes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.