Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MIDI event controller behaving badly with Axe FX II

I'm using Logic Pro X 10.1.1 to control parameter changes on my Axe FX II. The parameter is changed by using a MIDI controller event and entering a value between 0 and 7, with each value in that range corresponding to a different "scene" on the Axe FX (val 0 = scene 1; val 1 = scene 2; val 2= scene 3, etc.). The problem is I cannot seem to change between non-consecutive values without Logic "filling in" the missing values along the way. For example, I want to go from value 2 directly to value 0, but half way between Logic sends out a value of 1 and goes 2, 1, 0 instead of 2, 0. Is there a way to change this behavior so that I can go directly from one value to another without stopping at each in-between value along the way?

Thanks in advance!

iMac, OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), null

Posted on May 3, 2015 8:22 PM

31 replies

May 3, 2015 9:11 PM in response to The Art Of Sound

Thanks, but this is what I've done already. In one four-bar section of the song, the scene is supposed to change every bar as follows:

Bar 1 - Scene 2

Bar 2 - Scene 3

Bar 3 - Scene 1

Bar 4 - Scene 2

I have my event list set up to make the control value changes at the beginning of each bar. But when I go from bar 2 to 3, Logic doesn't just skip back two scenes from 3 to 1. Instead, it actually walks back through scene 2 along the way and it does it about half way through bar 2. So what I hear instead is this:

Bar 1 - Scene 2

Bar 2, beat 1 - Scene 3

Bar 2, ~beat 3 - Scene 2

Bar 3 - Scene 1

Bar 4 - Scene 2

To make sure this isn't a one-time glitch, I also set up events to go directly from scene 1 to scene 4, and sure enough, Logic told the Axe FX to go through scenes 2 and 3 along the way. It seems like every controller event change ramps up and down to the next one instead of just jumping to the next value at the right time. Am I missing something?

Thanks again.

May 3, 2015 10:54 PM in response to BluesMood

If in the event list there is no CC on Bar 2 Beat 3 then its the Axe that is doing this and it has nothing to do with Logic.... as Logic is not sending the Axe anything on Bar 2 Beat 3....

If your description is accurate then it's the Axe that is stepping through its scenes when given a CC command to go from Scene 3 to Scene 1 instead of going straight to Scene 1

Just to confirm.. you are using CC #34 plus a value in Data #2 of between 0 and 7 yes?

May 4, 2015 4:36 AM in response to The Art Of Sound

I am using CC#34 plus a value of between 0 and 7, but the column in the event list is labeled "Val" for value, not Data #2. Are you referring to the same thing?

I also thought this might be the Axe doing this, but I don't see how that is because the Axe doesn't know on Bar 2 Beat 3 that it will have to go to scene 1 when Bar 3 comes around. In other words, the Axe is just following the directions as they come in, it doesn't "predict" where its supposed to go before that bar rolls around. Does that make sense?

In any event, I asked this question first on the Fractal Audio Systems forums and they said it was a Logic issue! lol I might try another DAW as a experiment just to see.

May 4, 2015 7:20 PM in response to BluesMood

Well,

This is really odd because I can now recreate your issue in LPX.....

It seems that Logic Pro X is indeed sending out inbetween values as if it is smoothing Midi Control Codes between jumps in values...

It is not limited to certain CC types either....

Using a a Primary value of 8 for example.. (Balance) and a secondary value of 1 followed by 8 clearly shows Logic sends out 1 and then sends out 2, 3, 4, 5,6 and 7 prior to it sending out 8

I do not recall ever seeing this happening in LP9 which is what i normally use.... but I can confirm it certainly happens in LPX...

I will test in LP9 later tomorrow when I am back in the studio...

Having said all that...

Im not so sure it's a bug as such... It might be done deliberately to smooth CC sends and receives.. for pitchbend for example.. so there are no sudden jumps.. .though in certain circumstances, like the one you are using CCs for, it is a real pain to say the least...

I cannot find a means of disabling this smoothing either... Not in LPX's prefs nor the project prefs either....

Maybe one of the other regulars here would like to jump in with their thoughts on this issue?

Interestingly enough, here is a thread with someone complaining because the smoothing or transitioning feature... wasn't working correctly...... and he wanted it to transition from one value to another... (The exact opposite of what you want to do)

http://www.logicprohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=62866

Unchecking the Midi Data Reduction function fixed it for him.. but in your case, it's turned on by default in LPX and yet the transition data is still being sent in LPX. and not thinned out...

Weird!

May 4, 2015 7:25 PM in response to BluesMood

I have a feeling its linked to the ability to automate CC via the piano roll/Midi Draw feature.... because when you add points.. the joining line smooths out the transitions.... and you get all that data being generated in real time.. even though it doesn't appear in the Event List.. which is why i have never noticed it happening.... when manually creating CC events.

May 4, 2015 8:54 PM in response to BluesMood

No.. I haven't found a way to do that either.... I was playing with that a few moments ago.. so it seems you and i were both thinking along the same lines....

I would suggest you might want make a post about this on LogicProHelp.... now that 'we' know what is going on and see if anyone there knows how to stop this behavior in Logic.... If it is a bug the Logic devs do, on occasion, pay attention to their 'bug' thread.... which is apparently more than they do here!

Unless anyone else here has any better ideas, I think that is the next step you should take.. along with reporting the issue via the Logic Feedback form found via the link below...

https://www.apple.com/feedback/logic-pro.html

I'm frankly surprised this has never been raised before, to my knowledge... Maybe it has and i missed it.. but then again, I can understand that most people for most uses, would wish the CCs to operate the way they do rather than the way you need them to.. but again, I'm still surprised I never noticed it or heard about it before now..

Finally.. and FWIW.... This issue is certainly one I'll add to my list of 'odd things that Logic does'... for future reference... and so, thanks for hanging in there and explaining it fully to me.. Your patience is truly appreciated! 🙂

Cheers..

Nigel

MIDI event controller behaving badly with Axe FX II

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.