Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to retrieve contents in new imovie app from old one under new Yosemite?

I have upgraded my Mac Pro with with new Yosemite. I now have the new version of iMovie, and i can't open the old one anymore (iMovie 9.0.4). Howeer the new version is blank and I can't retrieve the projects I've started. How can I find them?

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 3, 2015 8:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2015 7:59 AM

You should have a copy of iMovie 9.0.9 in a separate folder in the Applications folder after updating to Yosemite (from Snow Leopard?). This should still be useable.

To transfer projects to iMovie 10, you need to update them from within iMovie 10. See: http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.0.8/#/mov902ad0c31

I'ts best not to change versions mid-project though because the new version is very different from the old one.

Geoff.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2015 7:59 AM in response to MBathio

You should have a copy of iMovie 9.0.9 in a separate folder in the Applications folder after updating to Yosemite (from Snow Leopard?). This should still be useable.

To transfer projects to iMovie 10, you need to update them from within iMovie 10. See: http://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.0.8/#/mov902ad0c31

I'ts best not to change versions mid-project though because the new version is very different from the old one.

Geoff.

May 9, 2015 9:44 AM in response to MBathio

Ah - I was wondering whether you would have a problem (reason for italicised "should"). I think its version 9.0.9 that is required but as far as I can tell there seems to be problems if one had not updated to v. 9.0.9 before upgrading the OS. I updated to v. 9.0.9 but it still does not launch under Yosemite - it just bounces endlessly in the dock though it does work if I boot into Snow Leopard. I had already switched to iMovie 10 (and now FCP X) so it was not a big deal in my case.

Having said that, most people report that it runs fine under Yosemite which is why I responded how it did. Maybe someone else can chime in on how to get it working?

Concerning iMovie 10 what do you mean by "the new version is blank"? Have you tried updating projects from iMovie 9? (Doing this will not damage your iMovie 9 projects and event folders or prevent you from using them under iMovie 9)

Geoff.

How to retrieve contents in new imovie app from old one under new Yosemite?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.