Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I click on something in safari and it opens up an ad in new tab

I have 8.0.5 version of safari and ever since i accidentally went on a dodgy website it has been opening up ads in new tabs whenever i click on something in the browser. Can't get anything done and I have tried everything that i have searched online. Please help. this is the second macbook I have had in 3 months because of stuff ups.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 3, 2015 9:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 3, 2015 9:32 PM

Click here and follow the instructions, or if there’s a type of adware not covered by them on the computer, these ones. If you'd rather not remove it manually, you can instead run Adware Medic; this link is a direct download.

(127034)

3 replies

Sep 3, 2015 7:28 AM in response to sarah-ara

You might want to consider starting a new discussion. Since this one is marked solved, less people are likely to look at it. You can link to this one.

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Clear History and Web Site Data. The down side is it clears all cookies.Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library./Caches/com.apple.Safari/Caches.db and move it to the trash.

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari Corruption See post by Linc Davis

10.9 and lower

Safari/Preferences/Advanced - enable the Develop menu, then go there and Empty Caches. Quit/reopen Safari and test. Then try Safari/History/Show History and delete all history items. Quit/reopen Safari and test. You can also try try Safari/Reset Safari. The down side is it clears all cookies. Doing this may cause some sites to no longer recognize your computer as one that has visited the web site. Go to Finder and select your user/home folder. With that Finder window as the front window, either select Finder/View/Show View options or go command - J. When the View options opens, check ’Show Library Folder’. That should make your user library folder visible in your user/home folder. Select Library./Caches/com.apple.Safari/Caches.db and move it to the trash.

Go to Safari Preferences/Extensions and turn all extensions off. Test. If okay, turn the extensions on one by one until you figure out what extension is causing the problem.

Safari Corruption See post by Linc Davis

I click on something in safari and it opens up an ad in new tab

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.