Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Answer to Yosemite Freeze / Spindump

Hello,

I'm sure you're all frustrated with your Yosemite going haywire. I have had the same problem. Now I have tried several solutions but they have not helped and I'm sure you have as well with different resets, clearing caches, removing adware, or blaming another third party plugin. Some of these solutions may have helped more or less or not at all and still erratic freezes do occur. Many have blamed the Kernel panic vs. Window Server process and then associated application or programs process that has been with them with high CPU or memory usage. You have probably read online articles on Finder freezes, Safari's webkit or other plugins or stack processes but this is not the issue. It is not iCloud either. The application is usually the one that the person wants to use and have used on a regular basis.

I backed up all my info through a war of freezes and spin dumps I did a clean reinstall as in erased my Macintosh HD disk of everything leaving just the recovery partition. I reinstalled program per program, driver per driver, and found out that it is Java Software that is the root problem. Now yes, most sites do not use Java anymore however it is still present if you have an older Mac from 2009 - present... Also some programs such as in Adobe After Effects, Flash, Illustrator, and Dreamweaver do not launch without Java. I suspect other video software will also have problems with Java on this OS.

Here's a solution that worked for me that gets rid of the freezes but does include the solution to Java if it is crucial to your work process:

- You can try uninstall Java from your current Yosemite OS; however, this will be frustrating due to freezes and spin dumps.

OR

- Clean Reinstall (meaning getting rid of all your information on the Macintosh HD drive.)

1. Backup your data on an external drive.

2. Restart your either through the power button or if you manage to open restart window.

3. Hold option key (2009 macs) or Cmd + R once you hear the startup sound.

4. Select the recovery partition 10.10.3 to startup.

5. Go to Disk Utility > Click on the Macintosh HD > Check your erase in "Security Options" (I recommend 1 Zero Pass but Fastest Erase works) > Erase Disk

[This will take about 1hr depending on your data and size of your drive etc.] Once done, close Disk Utility and initial window options on Recovery will

appear.

6. Select "Reinstall OS X." Choose your Macintosh HD partition and sign in to your Apple ID etc. NOTE you need an internet connection during this step.

Choose you network in the airport icon. [Recommend leaving this overnight although this process is faster on new machines.]

7. The Mac will function properly now. Avoid installing Java immediately. Java for OS X 2014-001 < This is the link to the Apple Supported Java; however, it

has yet to work for me as it crashes during install. Do not install Java 8 either as it will simply fail install.

Unfortunately this is not a definite solution and may still not help if the Java is crucial for your work but at least you know what the problem is. Hopefully, Oracle or Apple will solve this issue soon.

Cheers 😀

OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Yosemite

Posted on May 3, 2015 11:59 PM

There are no replies.

Answer to Yosemite Freeze / Spindump

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.