Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What SMTP value should I use for @icloud email?

My @icloud email address is set up in my Apple Mail application with the SMTP directed to use my ISP server.

Suddenly I am getting errors..Should I, in Apple Mail on my mac set the SMTP to an iCloud value?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10)

Posted on May 3, 2015 10:18 PM

8 replies

May 3, 2015 11:46 PM in response to Barbara Passman3

It's normal to use the iCloud SMTP server but it should work if you have set another one. If you want to revert to the iCloud server the simplest way is to go to System Preferences>iCloud and uncheck 'Mail', then re-check it: the system will set iCloud mail up automatically. When you uncheck it your emails will disappear but will reappear when you re-check it (give it time).

If you want to do it manually the settings are:

• Server name: smtp.mail.me.com
  • SSL Required: Yes
    If you see an error message when using SSL, try using TLS or STARTTLS instead.
  • Port: 587
  • SMTP Authentication Required: Yes
  • Username: Your full iCloud email address (for example, emilyparker@icloud.com, not emilyparker)
  • Password: Your iCloud password

May 5, 2015 9:06 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

No, that did not work

I went to System Preferences >ICloud. Unchecked Mail

Then re checked it (there was no place to save any changes, my messages, nothing disappeared)

And my Apple Mail Preferences >iCloud still shows the SMTP as being my ISP,

I can manually choose iCloud as my SMTP server but then I am not sure what to put for "TLS certificate"

Nor do I know what PORT to use in the Advanced Tab or what to use for Authentication (authentication currently is set to "Apple Token" and not "password" which is the usual choice.

Current PORT showing is "993"

So, can you help advise what the Apple Mail preferences should be for iCloud?

May 7, 2015 12:10 AM in response to Barbara Passman3

I'm afraid I don't know why this should be: the service is industry standard IMAP and setting it should be straightforward. I can only suggest you sign out of iCloud completely and start again.

1. Turn off 'Find My Mac' if it's been turned on.

2. Go to System Preferences>iCloud and click Sign out. Your synced data will disappear from you Mac but it will reappear when you sign back in.

3. Reboot your Mac.

4. Go to System Preferences>iCloud and sign in; check Mail and any other data types and give it time to sync al lthe data back.

What SMTP value should I use for @icloud email?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.