Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Handoff wont work

Hi Guys,

I have the Apple Watch paired with my iPhone 6 on iOS 8.3. Wifi/Bluetooth/location services and handoff are all switched on.

But no matter what I do handoff from apple watch to iPhone isn't working, in messages, twitter, email etc there simply is no icon in the left bottom of the lock screen.

Anyone else having this? Have tried resetting the apple watch and rebooting the iPhone. It is quite annoying! Spoke to Apple watch support via chat and they said their watches didn't do it either and I should submit it as a suggestion for future updates... they didn't even know it should work!

Thanks a lot for any help!

User uploaded file

Apple Watch, Other OS

Posted on May 4, 2015 2:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2015 6:48 AM

I'm having this problem, and i couldn't find any other thread online talking about it. I have a small home kit setup, and it's not available on my watch, which is obviously, a major bummer.

i'm on a apple watch sport, and an iphone 6+ with iOS 8.3.

32 replies

May 4, 2015 3:50 PM in response to apoc_reg

apoc_reg wrote:

User guide stating this should work - https://help.apple.com/watch/#/apdc40081790

I don't see any evidence in that video that you can finish a message started on the watch or vice versa.

i have had handoff work once when i answered a call on the watch. i saw the icon on the lock screen and it worked to switch the call to the phone. for everything else, i get the same results as you.

I've not actually tried with a phone call on the watch but I know it works between my iPad and phone or my iPhone and my Mac, but that isn't the issue here, the OP expects that you can continue building a message started on the watch but not sent on the phone. I personally think hand-off with messages means I can send a message from one device and continue the conversation on another, that's not the same as being able to edit half created messages that haven't yet been sent.

User guide stating this should work - https://help.apple.com/watch/#/apdc40081790

I think that says you can finish a reply in mail, it doesn't say anything about being able to do it in messages.

May 4, 2015 4:22 PM in response to Winston Churchill

hiya

Thanks for the replies.

The the guide states it should work in messages. It doesn't specify where exactly I agree but my question was just an example.

For me it does not, not at any stage be it replying, editing, viewing, in the messages app starting a new message or replying, not anywhere It simply doesn't appear. the action to handoff means when using an app on the watch I can swipe up the symbol on the iPhone lock screen to open the app.

Also when Siri on watch actually says 'i can't do this do it on your iPhone, hand off' nothing appears on the lock screen. Handoff in general just doesn't work, not in mail (by the way you can't reply on the watch to mail), Twitter included which is demoed in the video I linked (he also mentions messages), messages is just the place I feel it most.

Defjamblaster - Ha strangely mine works with a phone call too, just nowhere else! :-)

Thanks

Richard

May 4, 2015 4:29 PM in response to apoc_reg

The the guide states it should work in messages. It doesn't specify where exactly I agree but my question was just an example.

I believe it does work in messages, just not as the OP had expected. I don't know what yours does, perhaps you have a problem that I don't, but I can send a message from my watch and see on all my devices that I have sent that message, the recipient can then send me a reply which I can see on all my devices and reply to from any of my devices. This is how I expected hand-off to work and it fulfils my expectations. I didn't expect (which is what I think the OP does) is that I can start a reply on my watch and finish it on another device before sending it, indeed I don't see in any of the links provided that it is suggested that this is possible.

May 5, 2015 12:24 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I agree with Winston. You can't handoff midway through a message and the instructions don't say you can. But, the conversation itself should handoff; So whatever conversation you are in on the Watch should handoff to the same conversation on iPhone.

To be sure, please check that Handoff is also turned on on your iPhone in Settings - General - Handoff and Suggested Apps. I think Bluetooth has to be on too (because I know that Suggested Apps use iBeacon which is Bluetooth).

And remember that the other way to get to apps that have been handed-off to the iPhone is in the app switcher. i.e. double click the home button and look to the left of your home menu as pictured. If it's not happening there and restarts and re-pairing of Watch to iPhone doesn't help, you need to escalate with Apple Support again.

User uploaded file

May 5, 2015 3:05 PM in response to Winston Churchill

Handoff... the feature where by you have an app open on the Apple Watch and you can then move to that app on you iPhone by swiping up on the icon in the bottom left hand side on the lock screen is not working.

That is meant to work in mail, messages, twitter, nike+, with siri etc etc etc etc etc...... that's what is not working.... The mid message point you're obsessed with isn't what I'm trying to solve.

Thanks for the iCloud tip I will try it!

Handoff wont work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.