Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the advantage of Photos over iPhoto? I can't seem to find any. In fact, Photos seems vastly inferior

I've been using Photos for a few days. I can't find my photos that I've just downloaded. I can't find my photo information (i.e. shutter speed, aperture, etc). There is no histogram. I can only find about 3 sliders to adjust color, tint, etc. The crop function is difficult to use. I cannot geotag my photos any longer. Other than a bunch of filters, what is the big advantage for this program? I'm baffled. iPhotos was a terrific little program. And I was quickly advancing toward wanting to use Aperture. Now Aperture and iPhoto are dead and instead I get this new thing that might work OK on a phone or tablet, but doesn't do any of the things I need and want it to do for my photos on a computer. If I'm wrong, someone please let me know. Right now, I feel like I'm being forced to use Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom to get the tools I need to edit my photos.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 4, 2015 5:41 AM

14 replies

May 4, 2015 12:33 PM in response to MarkJen0517

There is no histogram. I can only find about 3 sliders to adjust color, tint, etc. The crop function is difficult to use.

Use the "Add" button in the Edit > Adjustment panel to add the advanced adjustment options. And click the disclosure triangles to reveal all parameters.

User uploaded file

I can't find my photo information (i.e. shutter speed, aperture, etc).

Have you looked at the Info panel? Select a photo and press ⌘I.

Also try the View menu: View > Metadata.

User uploaded file

But Photos is not yet versatile enough to manage hugh photo libraries conveniently. No replacement for Aperture at all - no batch changing for captions, titles. No saved presets or other customisation of the work space.

Keep using iPhoto, while you are waiting for updates to Photos. Both iPhoto and Aperture are still supported on Yosemite. Only, there will be no further development. That is geared towards Photos.

I am keeping my main libraries in Aperture and are using Photos for sharing a selection of my photos to all devices.

May 4, 2015 9:07 AM in response to MarkJen0517

I can't find my photos that I've just downloaded.

Look in Last Import

I can't find my photo information (i.e. shutter speed, aperture, etc).

Click on the circled "i" in edit mode

There is no histogram. I can only find about 3 sliders to adjust color, tint, etc.

In edit mode click on "adjust" then "add" and check the options you want to see

The crop function is difficult to use.

Ok - that is a personal opinion - I like it better

I cannot geotag my photos any longer.

That is correct - hopefully it will be added with an update - for now you have to do it prior to Import -HoudahGeo hopes to be able to do it directly to the Photos library later also and is a good solution for Geotagging

Right now, I feel like I'm being forced to use Adobe Photoshop and Lightroom to get the tools I need to edit my photos.

Forced? Someone is there with a gun? You are not being Forced to do anything - you can do what ever you want including continue to use iPhoto - or even post invalid winning complains instead of acting to resolve your concerns - your choice - do what you want

LN

May 4, 2015 9:20 AM in response to MarkJen0517

The Primary objective of Photos is an easy way to share your images amongst all of your Apple devices.

I do understand your disillusionment. It is frustrating when software that we know, and like is abandoned. It's not fun when we are forced to make decisions when we thought we were happy with the present situation.

For me, I am unable to use Photos as my primary photo application because Photos cannot show keywords under thumbnails, (as iPhoto once did, and Aperture still does). If you like the idea of having all of your images on all of your devices I would encourage you to continue with trying to adapt to Photos.

For many people, the ability to share images is not important. As mentioned by others, you have many options. A good alternative to Aperture is "Capture One". A good alternative for iPhoto is "Lyn".

iPhoto is likely to continue to function perfectly for some time to come. There is no rush for you to make a change. You can try the alternatives for free for 30 days. Be sure you make backups before installing any software.

Many people continue to use older software if they think it is better. Millions are still using iMovie HD 06, (now 9 years old). The same is true with iDVD, DVD Studio Pro, and Aperture. Newer is not necessarily better. If you like what you're using now continue to use it until you are forced to change.

May 4, 2015 12:37 PM in response to jgbarzdo

Really? We can go back to iPhoto? How? It seems to have been replaced as part of the Yosemite update.

The Yosemite update added Photos, but iPhoto will still be in your Applications folder. Only the iPhoto icon in the Dock may have been replaced by the Photos icon. Just drag iPhoto back to the Dock from your Applications folder. If you have already run Photos, and photos created a migrated copy of your iPhoto Library, you will receive a reminder, that the library has been migrated to Photos. Simply click the "Open iPhoto" button, and if will be back to normal. (See: If Photos won't open a library that you already migrated - Apple Support)

Only, if you did not update to iPhoto version 9.6.1 before updating to MacOS X 10.10.3, your iPhoto version will be incompatible. Only iPhoto 9.6.1 is fully compatible.

To update, see this User Tip: Get iPhoto 9.6.1 if you didn't update before OS... | Apple Support Communities

May 5, 2015 3:35 AM in response to LarryHN

I found the move easy, but only had all our holidays several thousand photos in albums and folders in ipad, so they moved easily over and I do love the new layout. Some photos went missing. Don't understand why they are referenced photos and not the main photos?

I've had trouble syncing with ipad and iphone before Photos came onto Mac......tis crazy, but just read to remove photo cache's (as that should keep the photos, but remove the double up....I hope - if someone can confirm that I'd appreciate it).

I'm not quiet sure how to move folders on Mac desktop full of scanned photos that are labelled, tagged etc into Photo's - they won't go with names, I do use Fat Cat Software and that has the names of each photo I've noticed. But curious as to why they are all referenced and some just aren't there and have to go hunting them down.....but love the new set up.

My holidays were in albums Holidays - family x 20 folders, Holidays Brett x 10 folders, Holidays Hubby and Me x 15 folders and they come up in little tv box Holidays Family and each folder (album is a square within in which my chosen photo is prominent) - love that look. See pic below.

Don't like that all photos are lumbered and can't seem to make a key photo anymore. I liked doing that.

I also just realised amidst my albums down bottom is IPhoto Events.....scared to move it.....?????

I wish they had a little booklet that you could refer too - searching for information is hard. A how too booklet would be great Apple, even though this isn't Apple.....LOL

I have played with the editing tools and find them remarkably better than the old iPhoto, just wish I knew how to transfer properly, as I have quite a lot to transfer. I think it will be great. Just need some questions answered and I'll be full steam onward!! LOL

User uploaded file

What is the advantage of Photos over iPhoto? I can't seem to find any. In fact, Photos seems vastly inferior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.