Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV freezes videos stream as soon as it goes fullscreen on youtube...

Hi,

My Apple TV used to work fine until yesterday, it suddenly started to freeze the video stream on airplay mirroring using youtube and other streaming sites (both on tv and on my devices, I've used 2 different Iphones and an Ipad and it's all the same).

None of the rebooting, resetting, Airplay on/off solution has worked. Also tried restarting all my devices, my router etc...

It's connected to the internet via an ethernet cable so no wifi issues either.

It airplays the device screens ok and I can see my own photos or videos just fine but when I go to youtube or other video streaming sites (which is pretty much the only reason I USE it !) I can browse and choose my videos but as soon as I play them it goes on fullscreen mode and starts to buffer endlessly. Then the message "cannot play content, try again later" pops up and quickly disappears.

As soon as I stop Airplay though, the video resumes on my devices...

I think this happened after the last update...not sure though

Any ideas?

Posted on May 4, 2015 2:21 AM

6 replies

May 4, 2015 5:26 AM in response to moss4000

So there could indeed be wifi issues then.

Intermittent problems are often a result of interference. Interference can be caused by other networks in the neighbourhood or from household electrical items.

You can download and install iStumbler (NetStumbler for windows users) to help you see which channels are used by neighbouring networks so that you can avoid them, but iStumbler will not see household items.

Refer to your router manual for instructions on changing your wifi channel or adjusting your multicast rate.

There are other types of problems that can affect networks, but this is by far the most common, hence worth mentioning first. Networks that have inherent issues can be seen to work differently with different versions of the same software. You might also try moving the Apple TV away from other electrical equipment.

The following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Sources of Interference

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

May 4, 2015 6:09 AM in response to moss4000

When you use airplay to display something from the internet you use your wifi twice, once when you receive the video on your device and secondly when it sends it to the router to forward to your Apple TV, mirroring can be a strain on a less them optimal wifi. I couldn't say for sure whether your wifi is a problem, but it's the most common problem people have.

Apple TV freezes videos stream as soon as it goes fullscreen on youtube...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.