Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Manipulating images in iMovie

Here's my problem with iMovie. I've filmed a balloon on a string. The balloon and the string move in the video clip. I want to remove the string from the video to make it seem like the balloon is moving of its own accord. Is this possible in iMovie editing?

I'm using iMovie 10.0.8 in Yosemite on a MBP mid 2010.

Posted on May 4, 2015 6:27 AM

4 replies

May 4, 2015 8:35 AM in response to Gavin/Leila Hinks

Gavin/Leila Hinks wrote:

… Is this possible in iMovie editing?

in short? No.

in detail: you probably know the 'stamp' feature in Photoshop, or 'healing'-tools/spot-removal like in Pixelmator .. sorry to say: a 14$ video-edit app does not offer such a feature.... Elaborated tools as Adobes After Effect or 's own Motion would handle that ... and no beginners task: when you erase the string - what is shown 'behind' it? 😉

hmmm - one trick is left:

Reverse Green Screening!

never heard of? Most probably:

Have a look in this demo, I made few hundred years ago ... 😉

User uploaded file

https://youtu.be/JLHNbHdU2M4

in case, you can do a re-shoot of the scene, give that method a try .. just asks for a green string and a rock solid tripod

May 5, 2015 12:31 AM in response to Gavin/Leila Hinks

Gavin/Leila Hinks wrote:

.... This time with something less obtrusive than string.

btw, this would be another option:

a video camera is no Hawk's Eye. in terms of: using a thin, very thin string/wire, which circumvents the resolution of the camera! That's a century old theatre trick, Mr Copperfiled used in his impressive 'Volare' Illusion (the camouflage-like background supports to 'hide' the wires) ...

User uploaded file

So, without green-screen or any fix-it-in-the-post marvel, you could perform this trick as a 'practical' ...

A professional Magician once told me, 'mouse grey sewing cotton' is close to invisible just a few inches away from the eye/camera ...

.. I can not tell you what 'mouse grey' is exactly in RGB/Hue/Pantone# … but worth a try! ...

May 5, 2015 12:35 AM in response to Karsten Schlüter

Actually Karsten my next step was a light-weight fishing line (fortunately, I don't have to suspend David Copperfield from the ceiling for I would surely let him fall). In truth, we didn't use string originally. We used "white" sewing cotton believing that would be hard for the camera to pick up. But the light was in the perfect direction and reflected off the cotton like it was the sun. It wasn't noticeable until viewed on a computer screen. Mouse grey sounds like a much more intelligent choice.

Manipulating images in iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.