Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i turn off 5g hz

hi i am trying to get my new logitech smart control to work. i have been told to turn of 5g hz on airport extreme... but how!

AirPort Extreme 802.11n (5th Gen), iOS 8.3, also runs on windows 7 pro

Posted on May 4, 2015 4:36 AM

3 replies

May 4, 2015 5:50 AM in response to soren ok

Sorry, but this is not possible.

Both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz are always on.....or, if the wireless function on the router is turned off......then both bands are off. It is not possible to turn one off and leave the other on and vice versa.

What might help is to use Wireless Options in AirPort Utility to assign a different name to the 5 GHz network. When you do this, the 2.4 GHz band has one name and the 5 GHz another name. So, you can "point" a wireless device at a specific network.

User uploaded file

May 4, 2015 4:06 PM in response to soren ok

soren ok wrote:

hi i am trying to get my new logitech smart control to work. i have been told to turn of 5g hz on airport extreme... but how!

The instruction to turn off 5ghz is actually to make sure your wireless is not set to 5ghz only and therefore no 2.4ghz.. the logitech is only b/g/n wireless ie 2.4ghz.. but the Gen5 AE is dual band simultaneous so it has nothing to do with the problem. So John's comment is completely on the ball.

Looking up the instructions..

https://support.myharmony.com/en/wi-fi-wont-connect-or-frequently-disconnects-fr om-the-hub

Confirm that your router is broadcasting in 2.4GHz, and not limiting to 5GHz. (see system requirements)

I notice as a typical Windows world type device.. it needs your network to conform to SMB standards.

Move the Hub closer to your router to eliminate range issues.

Do the initial setup in the same room as the AE.. it may not have terrific range.

If your router is not broadcasting its name or SSID, select Hidden Network from the Wi-Fi screen and manually enter your information.

Don't use hidden network ever.. it is not actually a part of the IEEE code.. and is simply useless.

Use another device to connect to the Wi-Fi network and confirm that it's able to access the internet.

Do make sure your network is setup in a way that a standard PC can connect to it.

Please make sure you wireless names are short, no spaces and pure alphanumeric.. DO NOT USE APPLE RECOMMENDED NAMES.

Use no password at all for a test.. and if that still fails, try the following channels on the AE, 11, 8, 6.

By setting a simple name, no password and fixed channel.. you have made your AE as compatible as it can possibly be to any other network wifi card.

If it fails.. sorry it is simply incompatible. It happens.. wireless still being a voodoo technology.. use a cheap WAP (N-Lite $30 work fine)

If it works immediately add security.. WPA2 Personal, with a pure alphanumeric password, mixed case and numbers.. 8-20 characters is usually plenty.

If that cause it to fail take the security back to WPA+WPA2 and see if that works.

Tell us how you go.. !!

how do i turn off 5g hz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.