Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting a random thumbnail as a movie icon FCP 7

I'm working in Final Cut Pro 7. After I compress a movie there's a random thumbnail on the movie icon. How can I change that?

Mac Pro (Early 2008), Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 4, 2015 4:44 AM

4 replies

May 4, 2015 12:12 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Thanks for getting back to me. I tried your suggestion and it didn't work. When I open the video in QT7 the poster image I set with your method is correct. However, the QT movie as it sits on my HD or on Vimeo is a random image. I tried to set the poster frame in FCP 7 by going to "Mark" > "Set Poster Frame" and that didn't work either. Is there a way to set the poster frame in FCP 7 before I send it to Compressor?

Thanks Lane

May 4, 2015 1:36 PM in response to Miff Mole

Then do this:

Open the file in QuickTime and park the playhead on the frame you want to use. Now, in the finder, select the same file and once selected, type Command + I to open the info pane for the file. At the top right of the info pane, next to the file name, you will see an icon.

Click back on to the frame that is paused in your Quicktime movie and hold down the mouse button. Drag the mouse over to cover the icon in the Info Pane (you will see the cursor change with a plus sign). Release the mouse.

Now the Icon view should be the one you selected.

Vimeo is a different situation all together, you need to manually set the frame you want Vimeo to display on the Settings/Basics page for the clip, look at the bottom of the page for setting the thumbnail.

MtD

Getting a random thumbnail as a movie icon FCP 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.