Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stolen iPhone: force OS update by carrier?

I've seen the carrier can update the APN or other settings, and send a message to the user like "update available".

Can the carrier send one of those to force the user to update to OS7 to get the device locked until the AppleID is entered?
That could encourage the thief to return the device (a reward is better than nothing?) instead of using it as a wi-fi brick.

Unfortunately for me, the mor0n who took my call as soon as my phone was stolen didn't tell me he could ban the IMEI, and I was told two months later. The new rep did the favor for me to process it anyway (there was no account open anymore for the last two months) but had this been possible and before they blocked the iPhone, they could have forced the user to update to OS7, finally disable it even for wifi usage.

I just found out the thieve is still using iMessages internationally (it should not have a carrier, once blocked by IMEI)

iPhone 4S, iOS 6.1.6

Posted on May 4, 2015 5:08 AM

4 replies

May 4, 2015 5:12 AM in response to applxperience

At this point the carrier cannot force a device to update, doing so would not really be beneficial since you have to have physical possession of the device to install an Apple ID and password, turn on iCloud > Find My, so the device can then be locked remotely. I would be surprised to see granting all of that authority to a carrier as they would then be responsible for security of the device and being sure the actual owner is the one requesting all of that assistance. Cannot see the carrier wanting that, either, and the potential for law suits if they made a mistake.

Stolen iPhone: force OS update by carrier?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.