Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Double Clicking my Downloads goes directly to Disk Utility, WHY

Double Clicking my download file goes directly to and opens Disk Utility and I have lost the ability to instal downloads, how can I fix this??

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on May 4, 2015 5:59 AM

9 replies

May 5, 2015 7:32 AM in response to John Galt

Thanks for the help, but I don't understand what you mean by : Select the entire line that follows,? what Line to triple-click, then control click, I understand if I could get there and I am not sure what a contextual menu is.?

what I am double clicking is my track pad once I bring my mouse down to the Downloads Icon in the Dock at the bottom of my screen?

So this is what happens, I bring my pointer down to Dock at the bottom of my screen, then single click on the Downloads Icon to open the Downloads file I guess thats what you call the row of download possibilities that pop upwards, then I go to the file I want to download and double click on my track pad over the file that I want to activate the download function for that file, but what I then get is the Disk Utility window and I don't have a clue what to do with that to get my file or application in this case ( GoogleVoiceAndVideoSetup.dmg ) to start to download?

Thank you very much for your assistance.

May 4, 2015 7:33 AM in response to McNeil99

I'm not sure what it is you're double-clicking. By default, Downloads is a folder, and double-clicking it should open that folder. Unless you are describing the Downloads icon in the Dock or Downloads in a Finder Sidebar.

Describe what happens when you do this: Select the entire line that follows (triple-click to select it), then control-click, and from the contextual menu that appears, select Services > Open:

~/Downloads

That should open a Finder window with the title Downloads. If it does not, describe what happens, if anything.

May 5, 2015 3:46 PM in response to McNeil99

McNeil99 wrote:

Thanks for the help, but I don't understand what you mean by : Select the entire line that follows,? what Line to triple-click, then control click, I understand if I could get there and I am not sure what a contextual menu is.?

Position your cursor anywhere in that line and then click three times in quick succession. That selects the entire line. You will see this

User uploaded file

Then, with the cursor still positioned anywhere in that blue field hold a control button on your keyboard, and click again. You will see this, or something like it

User uploaded file

That's the contextual menu. Select Open as shown in the red box above. The Downloads folder should open.

Assuming all that works as described, open (double-click) the GoogleVoiceAndVideoSetup.dmg file you want to open, and describe what happens.

May 5, 2015 4:33 PM in response to McNeil99

If you are talking about double-clicking the Downloads folder in the Dock, then you're doing it wrong and it is likely that Disk Utility is the item that is under the cursor when you make the second click as the folder opens. Just click the folder icon in the dock once and it will open. Then, continue from there.

Does that work as expected?

May 5, 2015 6:01 PM in response to McNeil99

McNeil99 wrote:

Double Clicking {1} my download file goes directly to and opens Disk Utility and I have {2} lost the ability to instal downloads, how can I fix this??

I do not understand what you mean.

Tell us a Story - with a beginning, a middle and end. We need to understand everything that you know and have experienced.

Specifically, tell us:

1. Where you see my download file - the Finder? Safari (or another browser) Downloads Window? What IS this file? What did you download? From where?
  2. Is it an Add-on to a browser that you are trying to install it and others and you are somehow stuck?

I am bumfuzzled.

Folks here are focusing on the Downloads Folder or Dock Icon when you clearly say FILE - please help us get on the same page.

May 5, 2015 8:15 PM in response to ChitlinsCC

Where you see my download file - the Finder? Safari (or another browser) Downloads Window? What IS this file? What did you download? From where?

There has been a Downloads folder for quite some time. It is in the dock. Unless specifically chosen to wind up elsewhere, all downloads wind up in that folder. I believe that is what the OP is referring to.

User uploaded file

May 5, 2015 8:11 PM in response to McNeil99

Downloads Icon to open the Downloads file I guess thats what you call the row of download possibilities that pop upwards, then I go to the file I want to download

Your downloads folder contains items/files/music/videos you have already downloaded - there are no "download possibilities" - no need to download them again. Once they are downloaded, they are parked in that folder temporarily and you need to install them (if it's an app) or open them (if it's a file you want to look at). You need to doubleclick them to view or install the .dmg if it has its own installer.

Is that the point when Disk Utility opens? Are you sure it says Disk Utility and isn't maybe the installer for that downloaded app?

May 5, 2015 8:31 PM in response to babowa

I got that from earlier - then I re-read the OP "literally" and tried to think outside the box of the guesses by the smart folks.

Barney's earlier theory made sense, IF there was actually Disk Utility App or Alias underneath at all times

User uploaded file

The browser also likely has a Downloads Window/Page (like Firefox's)

User uploaded file

Double-clicking dock_stack.png in that Window indeed opens it up in Preview (default app for PNGs I choose). When saving a DMG or other Installer PKG I get a "what do you want to do" dialog pre-start of the download. I normally choose to run those immediately - but can choose where to put them - I always want the choice because I put Music one place, Images another, etc.

I hope the OP can tell us more so we can get over the discovery stage. A Story with a background, beginning, middle and end would help, me anyway - my crystal ball's busted.

Double Clicking my Downloads goes directly to Disk Utility, WHY

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.