Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can i delete my music off my mac and still have it on iTunes?

hey, i have aprox 5k songs on my mac and they are literally eating all my space..

can somebody tell me how to keep my songs on my library if i delete them off my mac?

thanks

MacBook Air

Posted on May 4, 2015 5:59 AM

2 replies

May 4, 2015 7:35 AM in response to biiianca26

Just in case you don't know what Niel means by "iTunes library" here's the method - Moving a library: Quick answer if you use iTunes' default preferences settings: Copy the entire iTunes folder (and in doing so all its sub-folders and files) intact to the other drive. Hold down the option (alt) key (shift on Windows) and open iTunes. At the prompt to create or choose a library choose the copied iTunes folder.

iTunes uses a database file to store information about tracks in your library, including where the files are located. You could delete files from your computer but not their references in the database. This would give you broken links ( indicated by ! ) for those tracks. I am not sure there is much purpose in that. I guess another method would be to create marker files for the ones you are deleting so the entry still exists but there isn't a full length track for it.

I guess you need to be more specific in your request.

can i delete my music off my mac and still have it on iTunes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.