Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Watch Steps Are Inaccurate...

By the end of the day my Watch step count are a good 2000-3000 steps too high (on an approximately 10k step day) compared to my other apps that use the iPhone’s motion processor.

Before the Apple community rep that comes in an pastes the same calibration advice in every activity inaccuracy post here, I’ve calibrated my watch per the Apple instructions. I have all my information configured (height, weight, age, etc). The steps are just way off.

If I do a test and count my steps and then compare to the watch it is usually a good 20-30% too high which is consistent with my end of day inaccuracy. If I then do a test using only the iPhone they are dead on or within 2-3 steps.

Because of this, I’ve made sure to put the Apple Watch the lowest on the Data Source order since it is so inaccurate. This seems to keep the watch’s data messing up the Health App totals.

So, is there a way to improve this? And please don't say to do Apple's recommended calibration, because as I said... I have done it multiple times.

Apple Watch, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 4, 2015 8:38 AM

18 replies

May 4, 2015 10:22 AM in response to Winston Churchill

I believe there's an accelerometer in the watch which has a go at estimating steps from arm movement.

It can vary quite a bit - if you keep your hands in your pockets (stop slouching boy! 🙂 ) or, as in one case here, are pushing a baby stroller, for example, the readings are off.

According to Apple, if you've used the watch with the phone a few times, the watch has an estimate of your stride length, which it uses if it's out unaccompanied by the phone to estimate distance. I infer it estimates the distance from stride x number of steps

But I might be wrong

May 4, 2015 10:24 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Actually, you're missing the point... do you really think your iPhone knows how many times your leg moves? Just like the iPhone, the watch is "guessing" based on it's algorithms and the movements it senses (each has it's own way of sensing) and making a decision to call something a "step".

So, my point with this whole thread is, the iPhone does a great job of it and the Apple Watch does a terrible job.

May 4, 2015 12:09 PM in response to 1957Goldtop

I don't have the watch, yet. But I have gotten double counts in the Health area of my iPhone 6 plus. It was because I had the Strava app Walking Distance turned on and the Apple Settings>Privacy>Motion & Fitness>Fitness Tracking turned on. After turning off the Strava Walking option all was good! Strava uses the GPS for bike riding, so they may use it for walking also, but I've never tested it by walking on a treadmill to find out. But, you may have another app running that adds to the Healt app at the same time the apple Fitness data like what I think happened to me. Good luck finding the cause!

May 4, 2015 2:40 PM in response to 1957Goldtop

1957Goldtop wrote:

Actually, you're missing the point... do you really think your iPhone knows how many times your leg moves?

You have clearly decided to be argumentative about this. Both devices are clearly stating the total steps by calculation, but do you really expect me to believe that you really believe it won't be much easier for a device that sits in your pocket as opposed to the one on your wrist. On a very crude assessment a 1:1 count for back/forth movement from a phone in your pocket may well be quite accurate in most cases, but walking with your hands in your pocket or staying in one spot whilst performing CPR are likely to cause issues for the watch that a phone in the pocket won't experience. You know exactly what I mean.

May 4, 2015 2:59 PM in response to Winston Churchill

@Winston Churchhill:

I don't really care what you believe, What I believe is that the iPhone, after many many tests, is accurate to within a couple steps every single time while the watch is routinely off by about 20-30% every single time (and obviously I'm testing while walking normally and not keeping my hands in my pocket).

So weather you want to believe that a phone in your pocket can't be more accurate that a watch on your wrist, that is your own issue. I however have definitive proof for my particular watch and my particular iPhone.

@Kcobbs:

The Step stats I'm referring to are in the Activity app. These are reporting ONLY the watch's steps. So there is no "duplicate" data. The step data in the Health App is an aggregate of the different sources. That value is also influenced by the order of the Data Sources. So, if your Watch is above your iPhone, the Watch data takes precedence and you will get a different total than if the iPhone is on top. The same goes for all the other stats in the Health app... the order you have your sources makes a big difference on the final numbers. You can go in and move the order around and see the numbers change.

May 4, 2015 3:17 PM in response to 1957Goldtop

So weather you want to believe that a phone in your pocket can't be more accurate that a watch on your wrist, that is your own issue. I however have definitive proof for my particular watch and my particular iPhone.

I'm not so sure that you aren't allowing your annoyance at me to cloud your ability to read my comments properly. Of course I believe you that your phone is more accurate, my point is that logically it will be and that your observations are far from surprising.

However the good news as I understand things is that your watch will learn from your phone and become more accurate overtime.

May 4, 2015 4:07 PM in response to Winston Churchill

hi Wilson,, Like I stated I haven't got the Apple watch yet. On my iPhone 6 Strava works perfect as its own app. But, it doesn't send my Cycle data up to the HealthKit. Strava has I has a note in their Knowledge support saying that some get it and some don't. They think they found the bug and it says there will be an undate in the near future.

Fortunately I just use the Strava app by itself to so all is great! But, if the Watch uses the same HealthKit I hope the fix comes before my Watch!

Watch Steps Are Inaccurate...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.