Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to control PLAYLIST ORDER (NOT songs in PLAYLIST)

Order of playlists is inconsistent between iTunes and mobile devices, and very hard to get in a controlled order in iTunes. (default is only alphabetical)! ***note, PLAYLIST ORDER IN SIDEBAR, not order of tracks in a playlist) I am a MUSIC and DANCE teacher and constantly need to change playists quickly and put the MOST IMPORTANT CURRENT LISTS OF THE DAY at the TOP, by putting "underscores" ______ to force them out of alphabetical order. Then the iPHONE changes them, and IGNORES the massive number of UNDERSCORES (which can control the order) and goes strictly by the first letter, resulting in a CHAOTICALLY different playlist order on different devices.

I go to workshops with hundreds of music teachers who also go to competitions, and need to control the playlist order, but we've all given up other than trying to use the underscore ___, the number of underscores based on how high up you need the playlist to be. It does seem tedious, is there a better way?

Mac Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on May 4, 2015 7:05 AM

4 replies

May 4, 2015 7:28 AM in response to Chris CA

Thanks, but our needs are more frequently changing than that. We need to change the playlist order daily or even more frequently - which means retyping every single number over and over again, while memorizing which ones you have used and haven't, including adding 2 digits (01,02, 03 etc) if you want a list with more than 9 playlists. It's just astounding that "drag and drop re-ordering" exists in thousands of places in software - but they can't figure it out here? Then there's the 2nd issue is, that method of numbers or underscoring (we use both) doesn't stay consistent when sync with iPhone, iPod, or iPad.

Thank you for the very quick suggestions

I want to control PLAYLIST ORDER (NOT songs in PLAYLIST)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.