Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

apple tv screen saver reverting to National Geographic

As of May 3, my TV is reverting to showing pictures from the National Geographic set instead of the selected album on my local network computer. If I return to preferences, it still lists the correct album from the computer, and selecting Preview begins a slideshow from the correct album. The next time based activation of screensaver then shows the correct album for about 2 minutes, then it fades to black momentarily and begins a slideshow from the Nat Geo photos. Subsequent screensaver activations are then all Nat Geo. Unless I repeat the procedure with preferences.

The computer in question has had the Yosemite update including the Photos app installed (on release day), but this activity did not begin until yesterday, many days later. That computer has not been migrated to using Photos, is still using iPhoto, and no changes were made in iTunes.

Given my parents are having a very similar issue with just showing a library sideshow on one of their macs from the Photos library on that Mac, I suspect this is is all related to the rollout of Photos and it's integration with other devices, and I'll be waiting for Apple to get it together.

Any other suggestions?

Posted on May 4, 2015 8:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 10, 2017 10:25 AM

The album (event actually) I am using only has 100 photos or so. Added a second 3rd gen aTV to the house and both do this. It seems to be a network issue with the aTVs themselves. Often they will start the screensaver properly with my photos, then immediately go black screen and start over with the NatGeo photos.

Since Apple has pretty much abandoned this device, I expect the situation will never resolve.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 10, 2017 10:25 AM in response to esanders64

The album (event actually) I am using only has 100 photos or so. Added a second 3rd gen aTV to the house and both do this. It seems to be a network issue with the aTVs themselves. Often they will start the screensaver properly with my photos, then immediately go black screen and start over with the NatGeo photos.

Since Apple has pretty much abandoned this device, I expect the situation will never resolve.

Jan 1, 2016 4:01 PM in response to AppleDin

I've been having this problem for quite a long time now. The Apple TV shows the photo stream as a screensaver slideshow for a couple of minutes and then switches back to the National Geographic slideshow, as if the Nat Geo slideshow is a screensaver for my screensaver. Has anyone solved this over the past year it's been happening?

Aug 27, 2016 4:52 PM in response to AppleDin

I was having the same problem as reported, and I may have a solution. The iCloud album I was using as my screen saver had over 1000 photos in it. The problem went away after I decreased the number of photos to under 1000.

My symptoms were similar to the reports. Sometimes only the National Geographic photos would show. Sometimes my album photos would show for a few moments, and then switch to National Geo.

Hope this helps.

apple tv screen saver reverting to National Geographic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.