Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

dragging tracks into playlists/ within playlists suddenly a problem (itunes version 12.1.2)

I updated to 12.1.2 april 15 (its may 4 today) and literally all of a sudden this morning I cannot drag and drop any tracks into playlists, within playlists, or to devices. I can add with the right click menu option but cannot drag. I have OS X 10.10.3 and I have not made any changes to the operating system or computer. I searched google and the itunes forum and can't find any explanation that applies to my situation. Why is this happening and what can I do to fix it as quickly as possible?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), itunes 12.1.2

Posted on May 4, 2015 7:48 AM

7 replies

May 4, 2015 12:46 PM in response to emp859

I'm in the same boat. I can add tracks to playlists with the right-click menu option, but not by dragging them.

I also cannot add any songs to my iPhone, since I "manually manage" the music on my phone. At first I thought it was a problem just with transferring from the desktop to a device, but it actually is affecting drag-and-drop in any context.

What the hades is going on with iTunes?!?

Mac Pro

OS X 10.8.5

iTunes 12.1.2.27

May 4, 2015 8:15 PM in response to Dr. Marble

i don't know... its about the most frustrating random itunes problem i've ever experienced. i still have no idea why it spontaneously started malfunctioning but i managed to "fix" it by restarting my computer... i have no idea why that seems to have worked. i saw it on a similar but not necessarily applicable thread and thought it was worth a shot before spending the next hour or so troubleshooting with apple. just looking at all the boards today trying to figure out how to fix this particular issue, there are literally so many different similar cases of so many problems with itunes that its become clear they need to start fresh... anyway, maybe see if a restart helps resolve the click and drag issue for you. good luck.

May 5, 2015 10:52 PM in response to emp859

I am having this same problem and am extremely frustrated! Even after a restart once I try to add songs to iTunes I get the beachball and must force quit iTunes. I have the latest versions of everything. I thought maybe it was a problem with the last update but other than this thread I cannot find anyone having the same problem. I have scoured the internet for solutions and cannot find one. PLEASE HELP

May 6, 2015 6:06 AM in response to afelixtempus

Even after a restart once I try to add songs to iTunes I get the beachball and must force quit iTunes

Every time you do anything in iTunes the application recalculates the library. If you have a lot of entries and a lot of smart playlists this can take time and you just have to wait it out. Alternatively it is possible you have a corrupt library file causing the application to hang on recalculating the library and will need to rebuild the library. You could also try going the crash log route and see if there are any messages which could indicate what is happening when the slow-down takes place.

dragging tracks into playlists/ within playlists suddenly a problem (itunes version 12.1.2)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.