Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to copy a name to another Sheet when it appears in a column and track how many times it appears.

I have a golf pool and I am wondering if this is possible to do within the spreadsheets or if I would need to run a script (which I have no experience doing). I am trying to track the number of times a Participant picks a particular golfer, as you are only allowed to pick a player 8 times during the year and of those 8, only 4 times as your Captain.

Here is the main page:

Table 1

User uploaded file

The Participants picks (Players) are filled in each week from a master list ( Table 3 below) so I want to create another sheet that would look something like this:

Table 2

User uploaded file

Table 3

User uploaded file

Is it possible to create the list of golfers in Table 2 "automatically" as they are populated into Table 1 each week?

I also thought of duplicating Table 3 ( list of about 300 players) and instead of having the name of the tournament in the columns, using the Participants names.

I would then like this new table (Table 4) to total the number of times a Players name showed up under a Participants name from Table 1. It would look something like this:

Table 4

User uploaded file

I hope I've explained this question well enough.

Thanks - James

Numbers 09-OTHER

Posted on May 4, 2015 8:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 6:50 AM

Hi jands,

With the way you have your main table organized (merged cells in the headers for one) it will be simplest to use your proposed table 4 with the list of all potential players and then run a filter on it to only show relevant players. If your main Sheet contained individual tables for each participant you could have a summary table for comparisons and a single formula would retrieve your counts.

I would use SUMIF(test-values,condition,sum-values) to pull the player count from the main table.

Table 4::C2 =SUMIF(Table 1::C,B2) This assumes that Table 1::C is the player column under James U. You would have to tweak this formula for each Participant.

Table 4::D2 =SUMIF(Table 1::G,B2) And so on.

quinn

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 5, 2015 6:50 AM in response to jandscanada

Hi jands,

With the way you have your main table organized (merged cells in the headers for one) it will be simplest to use your proposed table 4 with the list of all potential players and then run a filter on it to only show relevant players. If your main Sheet contained individual tables for each participant you could have a summary table for comparisons and a single formula would retrieve your counts.

I would use SUMIF(test-values,condition,sum-values) to pull the player count from the main table.

Table 4::C2 =SUMIF(Table 1::C,B2) This assumes that Table 1::C is the player column under James U. You would have to tweak this formula for each Participant.

Table 4::D2 =SUMIF(Table 1::G,B2) And so on.

quinn

I want to copy a name to another Sheet when it appears in a column and track how many times it appears.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.