Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I recently changed my modem and my airport time capsule has a amber flashing light. Diagnostics indicates internet is connected. Suggestions?

I recently changed my modem and my airport time capsule has a amber flashing light. Diagnostics indicates internet is connected. Suggestions?

MacBook Pro

Posted on May 4, 2015 8:32 AM

7 replies

May 4, 2015 8:47 AM in response to LRLLRL

Whenever you change the modem, or change Internet Service Providers, the AirPort Time Capsule really needs to be reset back to factory default settings and then set up again.

The reason for this is that some of the old stored settings on the Time Capsule that were used to connect to your previous modem are not likely the appropriate settings to use with the new modem.

If you don't want to start all over again from scratch, sometimes changing a setting or two will work, as a shortcut. If you want to try that.....

AirPort Utility on your Mac will tell you why it is complaining by sending the flashing amber light.

Open Finder > Applications > Utilities > AirPort Utility

Click on the Time Capsule icon

Look for a setting for Status, and click on the small amber dot there

Another window will open up to explain more about why the Time Capsule is whining, and offer a possible remedy.

If you are still having difficulty, post back with the exact message(s) that you see. If there are multiple amber dots, click on each one for more information.

May 4, 2015 9:01 AM in response to Bob Timmons

Thanks Bob - I did as you suggested and the amber flashing in status indicated Double Nat. I clicked on the drop down menue and it said to switch from DHCP and NAT in the network tab to OFF (i.e. bridge mode). Did that and problem seems to be sorted. Light is Green. Not sure that I understand but here we are. Does any of this make sense to you?

May 4, 2015 9:08 AM in response to LRLLRL

A "Double NAT" indicates that you have two routers in series that are both providing NAT & DHCP services. Most likely your new "modem" is actually a combination modem and router with these two services enabled. Changing the Time Capsule to bridge mode disables these services on the TC and removes the error.

May 4, 2015 9:10 AM in response to LRLLRL

You were quite fortunate that the 'fix" was a simple one.

Double NAT was an indication that there were two devices both trying to act as a router for the same network. Since you only want one device to act as a router for the network, placing the Time Capsule in Bridge Mode turned off the routing functions of the Time Capsule......so it will work correctly in tandem with your new "modem"......(which is more than a modem....it is a modem/router, also known as a gateway).

You don't need to worry about any of this, since the green light indicates that the Time Capsule is happy again.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.