Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My MacBook Air sound has gone off?

Can someone please help me because my MacBook Air has no sound. Earlier today I watched a video and it was fine then but when I came to use it about 10 minutes ago it had no sound. The first time I used it today my sound went of and I refreshed my screen and then it came back on but when I tried to that this time it was having none of it. I have checked the volume of the video clip, my settings and the laptop and it wasn't

working.

Posted on May 4, 2015 8:58 AM

2 replies

May 4, 2015 3:45 PM in response to mak1317

Go step by step and test.

1. System Preference > Sound > Output > Internal Speakers

Highlight Internal Speakers.

Make sure that Mute is not enabled.

2.Plug in and remove the headphone.

If you see red light in the headphone port, plug the headphone

in and out of the port 5 or 6 times to flip the microswitch inside.

Sound output may be stuck in the digital mode.

3. Reset PRAM. http://support.apple.com/kb/PH14222

Do this twice

4. Reset SMC. http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964

Choose the appropriate method.

5. Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup

Audio Devices window

Side Bar

Click the Built-in Output.

Make sure that no box is checked under “Mute”.

May 4, 2015 5:32 PM in response to mak1317

I used to have the happen all the time on my MBA. Depending on what's causing your issue, Dominic's answers may help you, however when it occurred to me only two things would fix it - restarting, and ending a process in activity monitor. The second actually fixed it, though I can't remember exactly what process it was that did it - taking a look, I believe it was coreaudiod. Only try this, however, if Domonic's answers do not help you - though from your description, I doubt looking for muted things will help you. I hope this helps you.

As a side note, I did seem to notice that this problem would occur only when the mac was wakened, did not have its sound used, and was put back to sleep; when reawakened the sound did not work. I never tested, however, as restarting after every test would be a pain especially given open programs.

My MacBook Air sound has gone off?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.