Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Booting from G-Technologies

Does anybody know if the Thunderbolt hard drives from G-Technologies will allow you to use a partition as a Startup Disk? I have been asking there support and I keep getting the textbook answers that I feel sometime don’t add up to real world information. I think I am really just having a back and forth with semantics over the word support; as in do they support it, or will it work! According to Apple store people it will do exactly what Seagate USB 3.0 drives do, and they do it fine. I don’t know if Seagate will say they “support” booting either, or even what they will mean by it. If anybody know or has had experience with this please let me know. Thanks for any help!User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 4, 2015 9:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 4, 2015 1:46 PM

Assuming it isn't a G-RAID, it might.

You left out whether you tried and what happens if you do. Also how you will clone or install OS X to a partition.

Sounds like you have a Seagate drive and for me I would leave TimeMachine well enough alone.

USB3 vs Thunderbolt - only a real concern when using RAID or multiple drives, where t he nMP's USB controller and bandwidth becomes an issue but USB3 has enough bandwidth for drives, ~150MB/sec.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 4, 2015 1:46 PM in response to pctechtv

Assuming it isn't a G-RAID, it might.

You left out whether you tried and what happens if you do. Also how you will clone or install OS X to a partition.

Sounds like you have a Seagate drive and for me I would leave TimeMachine well enough alone.

USB3 vs Thunderbolt - only a real concern when using RAID or multiple drives, where t he nMP's USB controller and bandwidth becomes an issue but USB3 has enough bandwidth for drives, ~150MB/sec.

May 4, 2015 1:46 PM in response to The hatter

Taking the advice from Apple store employes saying it would, I still waited to here what G-Technologies was going to say. They have a 2-3 day approval process for question posted on there support forum. Then they wait the same time for each comment. I am trying to put together a solution for our Disaster Recovery Plan and other useful stuff. So I have not picked up (bought) the drives yet.

May 4, 2015 1:51 PM in response to pctechtv

Thank you for all the help, all answers are helping me. I tried to click on "This helped me link" but it only let me do it 2 times. Once again thank all of you for the helpful answers. As for the specifics I am not concerned with the a drive that has a raid configuration. I am interested in a drive that has no raid is what I understand. Thanks

Booting from G-Technologies

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.