Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WPA2 Enterprise

I'm noticing that my Apple Watch will not connect to my iPhone through a WPA2 Enterprise network. It does work fine over WPA2 Personal network and bluetooth (of course). Any others noticing this issue?

Apple Watch, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 4, 2015 9:36 AM

11 replies

May 20, 2015 4:29 PM in response to t81martin

I've seen the same thing when my iPhone is on my company's network. I know from observing my home network, when my watch attaches through WiFi, it shows on the network as an independent device. My theory is that since the watch does not have an 802.1x certificate for my company network, it does not connect, even though it is getting the network name, username, and password from the iPhone.

Sep 22, 2015 7:28 AM in response to brian•woodahl

I have at the College WPA2 Enterprise and in my home, i have also that infrastructure. On WPA2 Personnal (802.11) it does work flawlessly but on 802.1X not at all. I reached Apple and nobody have a clue about what is 802.1X so.. As mentioned here : About Bluetooth and Wi-Fi on Apple Watch - Apple Support "

our Apple Watch can connect to a Wi-Fi network:

• If your iPhone, while connected to your watch with Bluetooth, has connected to the network before.
  • If the Wi-Fi network is 802.11b/g/n 2.4GHz.

For example, your Apple Watch won't connect to 5GHz Wi-Fi or public networks that require logins, subscriptions, or profiles. When your Apple Watch connects to a compatible Wi-Fi network instead of your iPhone connection, User uploaded file appears in the Settings Glance."

What does it mean by Profiles? The one that you put in the iPhone? For that, i dont mind... but does they want to say Certificate? And what do they mean by Public Wi-Fi? Enterprise one? That would be really bad to say that enterprise Wi-Fi is public's one..

Sep 22, 2015 7:35 AM in response to michael.g.l

Public wifi networks are those like the ones in coffee shops, shopping malls and so on. Commonly, to access them, you go to a web page in your browser and enter some credentials. If you have to enter the credentials each time you connect, the Watch will not be able to connect independently.

Some public networks install a profile on your phone so that it connects automatically when you're in range (so you don't have to enter the credentials each time); again, in these cases, the Watch can't connect independently

I hope that makes sense.

Sep 22, 2015 7:44 AM in response to nick101

But if it is a private network with direct 802.1X with certificate (trusted) and accepted already on the iPhone why the WATCH doesn't get that certificate? I can put a certificate so easily in my Apple TV why not Apple WATCH? Apple was promoting the use of Apple WATCH in hospital. I dont think people in hospital will always have their iPhone in their pocket. And i dont think Hospitals will create a Wi-Fi 802.11 along their 802.1X just for Apple WATCH...

Sep 22, 2015 8:02 AM in response to michael.g.l

I suppose that the Watch doesn't have the ability to handle 802.1x certificates at present - although I don't know for sure.

You can feed back to Apple here: http://www.apple.com/feedback

I think you may be overstating how bad a problem it is if staff have to carry their phones with them. The phone is a key medical tool on its own - diagnostic apps and databases, ability to write and record notes, take pictures etc. The Watch can only handle a small fraction of that - even with native apps, the tiny screen will always be a limitation to handling data

WPA2 Enterprise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.