Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External Hard Drive Recovery Help

Hello everyone,

My girlfriend's Macbook Pro had to be wiped. I backed up her information to an external hard drive. I reinstalled the Mac OSX, it is now bare bones. I would like to restore the mac to its previous condition with the backed up files i put on an external hard drive. However, I am unsure how to do this. If someone could be of assistance it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Posted on May 4, 2015 8:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 5, 2015 3:24 PM

If you backed up with Time Machine, use Time Machine or the Migration Assistant to recover the files.

If you created a clone or drag-copied the items, drag them back.

If you used a different product, check the product’s documentation.

(127038)

3 replies

May 5, 2015 3:26 PM in response to Niel

Thank you for the reply!

I used Asset Manager, and when it was done transferring, it was stll bare bones. I think my girlfriend actually over wrote my original back up with a time machine back up of the new OS, because she was impatient. Is she at a loss of all her information and I'll never hear the end of this or is there a way i can get that over written information back off of the external? Either way thanks for the help.

External Hard Drive Recovery Help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.